Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Voice VLAN LLDP-MED Device Profile

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  Voice VLAN LLDP-MED Device Profile

Posted Dec 10, 2021 05:27 PM
    I have about 80 Yealink phones to install and will connect PCs to them using the pass through port on the phone.

The phones will use a tagged voice VLAN and the PCs will use an untagged VLAN.

I'm trying to save time by not having to track down each switch port that I need to tag for voice.

Will LLDP-MED tag the switch port for me without specifying a device profile? Or do I need to create a device profile?

I'm using HP Aruba 2930, 5406, and 5412 switches.

------------------------------
    Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Voice VLAN LLDP-MED Device Profile

Posted Dec 16, 2021 03:22 AM
    We are using Aruba 2920, 2930m, 2930F and HP Procurve 3500yl as access switches for PC and IP phone. We did not configure LLDP-MED device profile.
    Our configurations and operations are quite simple.
    1) create a voice VLAN
    2) tagged voice VLAN on all access ports
    3) enable LLDP
    4) When you plug a LLDP enable IP phone to any access port, IP phone would setup the voice vlan based on LLDP-MED information advertised from switch.
    5) ip phone obtain IP address and ip phone home server from DHCP server

Michael Lo

• 3.  RE: Voice VLAN LLDP-MED Device Profile

Posted Dec 17, 2021 07:06 PM
    Do you think by tagging all your access ports for voice that you may have inadvertently increased your broadcast traffic for that vlan as not all ports will be used for voice?

Thanks!