Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

POE issues on 2930m stack with IAP215's

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  POE issues on 2930m stack with IAP215's

Posted Jun 07, 2021 01:16 PM
    I seem to run into a power issue on my 2930M stack (5) with IAP215's.  I experienced something similar on my 2920's but kind of wrote it off as human error and went on.  Seems that if I get more than 11 or 12 IAP's on a specific switch, the IAP's stop booting correctly.  Mostly this is on the last one plugged in, or the last one to boot.  Power settings say that the switch is only using about 105 watts with 370 being max available.

I reached out to a rep and was told to enable ​LLDP-MED on the switch. But not sure why that would matter after several IAP's are plugged in and not after the first ones.  I also can't seem to find where to enable LLDP-MED at the SWITCH level.  Only at the individual ports.  is there a PROBLEM with enabling it on EVERY port?

I am not a big CLI guy so most of what I do, I do at the Web interface.  If enabling LLDP-MED on all ports is the answer, I will also want to write a command into the switch config file that enables it on all the ports, and modify the config file for my other switches (mostly 2920's) to benefit.

------------------------------
    Christopher Russell

• 2.  RE: POE issues on 2930m stack with IAP215's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2021 10:24 PM
    LLDP can negotiate power with a PD by using LLDP MED TLVs (disabled by default).
    you can enabled it using the
    int <port-list> PoE-lldp-detect [enabled|disabled]

if LLDP is not used for nego then the switch will allocate the maximum amount of power for that class.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: POE issues on 2930m stack with IAP215's

Posted Jun 08, 2021 04:07 PM
    I normally do configuration changes either by web interface or by rewriting the config file, that way the config is saved incase of a spontaneous reboot.  Right now the config report has 600 lines of

interface x/xx
    poe-lldp-detect enabled
    exit

are you saying I can write into the config file

interface 1/1-1/48,2/1-2/48,3/1 and so forth
    poe-lldp-detect enabled
    exit

and it will cover all of them?

Christopher Russell