last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Adding switch member to a stack

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  Adding switch member to a stack

Posted Oct 05, 2021 05:00 PM
    Hi there,

I've got Aruba 2930M-48P with software version  WC.16.10.0015
    and I've installed stacking module on it  and got two stacking cables ready.  So, I'm going to add/connect a new 2930M-48P to the first switch to form stacking. However, I'm pretty sure that the new switch got a different software version (not sure if it's higher version or lower )

So, if I make the current operational switch to be the commander ( statically configure the priority to be 255), will this current commander switch upgrade/downgrade the software version of the new added switch ? 
    Or I have to manually match the software version of the new added switch to the operational one ?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Adam Black

• 2.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 05:48 AM
    Short answer: "If you add a new member to an existing stack, the Commander updates the new switch's software to match the current stack software. Multiple versions of software are not supported across stack members." so you should expect that the Commander running WC.16.10.0015 will force the new member Switch (no matter its running software version, newer or older) to use the same software version...read: updates here means forces a software versions match by upgrading or downgrading the new member running software.

If I were you I will update the Commander to latest WC.16.10.0017 (released two days ago) and then connect the new member switch, it's unlikely that the new member switch is already running on WC.16.10.0017 so it will be updated for sure.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack

Posted Oct 06, 2021 08:08 AM
    Thanks so much for you reply.

I've just added the new switch and the stacking has been formed (Ring/Active). Is there a way to check the current version on the new switch ?

I've tried "show version" and it shows me :

my_switch# show version

Image stamp:
    /ws/swbuildm/rel_ajanta_qaoff/code/build/lvm(swbuildm_rel_ajanta_qaoff_rel_ajan
    ta)
    Jun 7 2021 21:35:47
    WC.16.10.0015
    Boot Image: Primary

Boot ROM Version: WC.17.02.0006
    Active Boot ROM: Primary

Adam Black

• 4.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 10:19 AM
    Hello Adam, since the Commander automatically synchronizes its Software version - by means of a background procedure - to all other Stack Members (so to Standby and other members eventually part of the same stack) then if you see WC.16.10.0015 (as reported by the Commander) and the backplane stack is correctly formed (the show stacking command will tell you that) then you can say for sure that all the stack members are running on WC.16.10.0015.

Perform a show flash too to see if - once you assess the stack works correctly on WC.16.10.0015 - you need to copy the current booted primary image (WC.16.10.0015) into the secondary flash area to have primary and secondary flash areas matching the same software builds (WC.16.0015).

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack

Posted Oct 11, 2021 04:00 AM
    Thanks so much David!

Can I use this command to copy (WC.16.10.0015) from primary flash  into the secondary flash:

copy  flash WC_16_10_0007.swi primary flash WC_16_10_0007.swi secondary?

Adam Black

• 6.  RE: Adding switch member to a stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 11, 2021 05:08 AM
    Hello Adam,

If we suppose the booted flash is the one residing on the Primary flash area and that image is also the updated one we want to copy (let me say the Primary flash area was flashed and booted with the WC.16.10.0015) then the command to copy the Primary flash area (booted) into the Secondary flash area to match both flash areas is:

copy flash flash secondary

On the contrary, if we suppose the booted flash is the one residing on the Secondary flash area and that image is also the updated one we want to copy (let me say the Secondary flash area was flashed and booted with the WC.16.10.0015) then the command to copy the Secondary flash area (booted) into the Primary Secondary flash area to match both flash areas is:

copy flash flash primary

so it's just "mirrored" (copy Primary to Secondary or vice-versa). Clearly you can apply this approach also to match flashed areas with a non-updated software version, indeed that is used just to keep flashed areas matched.

Before (re)booting a new flashed image I usually like to also verify the signature validity of flashed software with the command "verify signature flash primary|secondary" just to be sure all is OK (see here).

Davide Poletto