Wired

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Instant On 1930 - SFP Uplinks

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Aruba Instant On 1930 - SFP Uplinks

Posted Mar 31, 2021 12:09 PM
    I am looking to upgrade our switching infrastructure to all Aruba 1930 (JL686A).

I am trying to figure out the best way to connect 4 switches together, to get maximum performance. 
    3 switches will be in the same server room, 1 will be about 50 feet away in another closet.

I was thinking this:
    3 Aruba 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1m Direct Attach Copper Cables (J9281D)

For the other single switch I could use the Cat5E SFP.

Aruba 1G SFP RJ45 T 100m Cat5e Transceiver | HPE Store US
    Hpe remove preview
    Aruba 1G SFP RJ45 T 100m Cat5e Transceiver | HPE Store US
    Financing and service offerings available through Hewlett-Packard Financial Services Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively HPFSC) in certain countries and is subject to credit approval and execution of standard HPFSC documentation. Rates and terms are based on customers credit rating, offering types, services and/or equipment type and options.
    View this on Hpe >

My questions, is this the best configuration? 
    Should they have redundant paths? Or just chained?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Wellman

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant On 1930 - SFP Uplinks

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 01, 2021 12:21 PM
    Hello Sarah, you're running out of options since you can "stack" (where stack means deploying switching virtualization)...so you can only chaining them together by using single links or aggregated ones (I suggest you to aggregate each pair of ports connected via DAC Cables by using LACP (IEEE 803.2ad Standard) so you have the chained Switches deployed with enhanced resiliency and throughput, potentially using the same LAG Link Aggregation approach also on the fourth one...if you can afford to double the RJ45 Transceivers quantity AND if you can afford to double the DAC Cables quantity).

Technically speaking it will be a good practice to not have a chain of interconnected switches...but if you're forced to deploy it because Switches don't offer any other interconnecting option...it's a good practice at least to have the "link in the chain" as bigger as possible and of the same size along the entire chain (same size = same throughput across the whole chain)...but, if I've read you correctly, your plan is to connect the fourth switch with just a single 1Gbps copper link (via a pair of J8177D 1G Base-T RJ45 SFP Transceivers)...it could be done. Pay attention to understand/predict where the major of traffic will find bottlenecks (you have three Switches interconnected with 10G or 2x10G and the fourth one with 1G...).

Davide Poletto