Security

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Change the random generated password

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Change the random generated password

Posted Jan 26, 2018 10:15 AM

For password complexity we would require a more complex password when using the guest self registration.

The password complexity should be 10 char, including both numeric and alfanumeric. I found the option that the password complexity is what we require, but I can't seem to find any option that the randomly generated password should also be that.

I'm thinking this should be somewhere in the self registration > register > forms ? But the random_password only has initial value "array (  'generator' => 'NwaGuestManagerGenerateRandomPassword',)"

Is this the field I should modify? And if yes, modify how?

• 2.  RE: Change the random generated password
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2018 10:40 AM

Configuration > Guest Manager

• 3.  RE: Change the random generated password

Posted Feb 14, 2018 06:32 AM

This seems to be working most of the time. But every so often it generates a password that is not strong enough and hence the user can't log in due to "password not matching criteria".

• 4.  RE: Change the random generated password

Posted May 11, 2021 09:20 AM

I would like to continue on this question. I know i can specify the password length in configuration -> guest manager.

However, this impacts also other screens/services which require today only 4 digits. How can i change in 1 specific form the random generated password length to 6 digits ? The function used is : array ( 'generator' => 'NwaGuestManagerGenerateRandomPassword',) Are there any options we can add ?

------------------------------
    Danny Bosman
    KBC Group - Belgium

• 5.  RE: Change the random generated password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2021 03:39 PM
    You have two options.  Per https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.9/Guest/Content/Reference/GuestManagerStandardFields.htm?Highlight=random_password_length, random_password_length and random_password_method can be added to any form and those values will override the defaults.  Though in the form, these fields will not actually be saved into the Guest data, just used in the generation.  These would affect passwords generated server side on creation.

Your example was a generator that auto fills a value into the HTML form that is then submitted as is with the rest of the form.  Technically that is open to tampering, though generally a problem and we default doing that a few spots anyways.  You can get it generated gain if you set Use Default under the Advanced checkbox of that field.  In order to get overrides you pass them as the generator_args:

array('generator' => 'NwaGuestManagerGenerateRandomPassword', 'generator_args' =>   array(array('random_password_length' => '4')))​
    Note the double array(array()), this function gets passed things an odd way.
    You can throw the method override in there too.
    array('generator' => 'NwaGuestManagerGenerateRandomPassword', 'generator_args' =>   array(array('random_password_length' => '4', 'random_password_method' => 'nwa_novowels_password')))​

Garth Benedict

• 6.  RE: Change the random generated password

Posted May 20, 2021 10:14 AM
    Hi Garth, 
    this is what i was looking for , works fine ! 
    Many thanks, Danny

Danny Bosman
    KBC Group - Belgium