Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

Posted Sep 26, 2020 03:41 PM

Hi there,

I know ClearPass Device Insight is licensed per device, but what I can't figure out is how are the devices accounted for?

I can see devices going for up to 1 year and more, but active devices on the network are like 1/10 of all devices seen since ever. Also, there seems to be no way to delete devices.

So, what do I have to license? All devices seen since ever? Active devices on X period? How long is that period?

Thanks

Thanks

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

Posted Sep 27, 2020 04:23 PM

Thanks.

But the question is about ClearPass Device Insight.

Nothing on that docs explain how to the devices are accounted with Device Insight for licensing purposes.

They just refer to ClearPass (Base;Access;Onboard;OnGuard).

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

Posted Sep 27, 2020 05:42 PM
    It is based on the amount of unique devices discovered on the defined subnet / network

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

Posted Sep 27, 2020 06:25 PM

Thanks.

But you also miss the point.

I have devices that show on my Device Insight that only connected once, like 5 month ago.

So, as there is no way to delete them, fo I have to pay for every single device that ever was connected to my network and "profiled" by Device Insight?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2020 03:07 AM

Please reach out to your Aruba sales team if you need to base your purchase decision on this point.

At this point, as there is no way to delete endpoints, there is no license enforcement done either. For now, as in indication, I'd take as a guideline the number of devices that are active in a few weeks period. Think that if you would be able to delete endpoints, and you would put it on 4 weeks of inactivity, in that case, the number of clients seen in 4 weeks would be a good guideline. As mentioned, work with your Aruba team.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Device Insight Licensing?

Posted Nov 17, 2020 10:33 AM
    Thanks all, this was the same question I have.  Did you get a definitive answer ricardoduarte?
    For an expensive product, its difficult to justify if the licensing terms were to get clarified/firmed up/enforced differently after purchase, meaning we were potentially short of the required licenses.
    As CPDI integration with CPPM stops using CPPM profiler fingerprints and uses CPDI analyser instead, there is no way to use the two at the same time, so basic profiling for an 802.1x service & advanced Device Insight profiling for a MAC auth service?
    i.e. we have seen circa 55k endpoints hit our CPPM database, but I'd say only 5k to 10k are "active".
    We don't enable profiling for BYOD for example, but the endpoints will of cause be in the endpoints DB.