Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

Posted Mar 30, 2021 06:43 AM
    I thought we could get printers to get certificates from Microsoft NDES and then renew those when the expire. But it seems that you can pair NDES to only a single certificate template. I was hoping we could have different templates for printers, TVs, medical stuff etc. So when doing 802.1X EAP-TLS we could figure the correct user role from the certificate values.

Any ideas how we could do this, are the other SCEP softwares that could do this? Or is anyone doing something like this, or how do you configure certificates for the printers etc?

• 2.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 30, 2021 09:17 AM
    A certificate should simply be a pointer / correlation handle to another data source. There is no need to use different certificate properties.

------------------------------
    Tim C

• 3.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

Posted Mar 30, 2021 10:40 AM
    I remember seeing devices that only allowed you to add certificates but no username/password. Also as it's our internal CA we can control I was hoping to pick the easy way and just authenticate based on certificate fields :) I guess we'd need to start adding user accounts to AD and then just issue similar certificates to all the devices

• 4.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:05 AM
    No need to create AD accounts. Use device registration in CPPM.

Tim C

• 5.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:13 AM
    Add them to CPPM guest? Any benefits for using that instead of AD? As all the workstations that are logging to the network are already checked against AD anyway and it's used as an authentication source. Wouldn't you need to do MAC authentication in this case as there's no password except for MPSK password?

• 6.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:33 AM
    AD is not designed to store device accounts outside of Windows AD-joined objects.

You can use the MAC address, cert serial, subject, or other cert property as a lookup value in the device database.

Tim C

• 7.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:42 AM
    Is there documentation available that would explain why this would be a bad idea? Or is it an Aruba best practice? As managing user accounts (for the printers) in AD just seems quite a lot easier than trying to do that with Clearpass Guest. We can use group memberships for different types of printers but have them in the same OU and so on. And run the usual reports for accounts that are going to be expiring soon and notify the relevant people. There is a sponsor field of course in CPPM but I don't really understand the benefits of having two separate user stores when we could have all those in AD.

We could also run a script to create accounts for the next 20 printers and wouldn't have to worry about the correct cert serial or use insecure MAC authentication.

That "other cert property" goes back to my original question. As it seems it's not possible to use NDES for creating certificates with different templates and then have different cert properties for certain groups of users

• 8.  RE: Automatic certificate assignment/renewal for printers etc.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:51 AM
    > "I don't really understand the benefits of having two separate user stores when we could have all those in AD"
    They're not users. That is the key point.

I'm not aware of any docs. Best to reach out to your ClearPass partner.

Tim C