Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions

storage warning for AW centos6->centos7 upgraders

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  storage warning for AW centos6->centos7 upgraders

Posted Sep 25, 2020 03:24 AM

hi,

just a warning for upgraders, who'll soon plan to upgrade from older centos6 to centos7. Check storage options before you upgrade. I learned the hard way. I could not find this being documented in any of the guides and i still cannot fathom the reason behind it.

basically. new centos7 changes storage partition structure. My old AW (runs centos6, 8.2.10.1) has 3 partitions, small /boot and /boot/efi and basically everything else on /.
    Well, the new one isnt like that a all. It now has 9 (nine) partitions. /home, /, /tmp, /var, /var/log, /var/log/audit, /boot, /boot/efi and /def.

The real issue is that there is no user selection of how much is allocated for each. by default, i got 5GB on /home (that is pretty much pointless, as there is no real user data), i got 10GB for /tmp, 64GB for /var, 20GB for /var/log (20GB just for logs?), 15GB fof /dev (thats completely unused).

My old insallation had 160GB old datastore (that had around 25-30GB free), so i thought, okay, let's upgrade a bit and order 250GB datastore. Guess what, restore from backup DID NOT FIT.  Most of the airwave "lives in" /var and someome thought that for 250GB datastore, 64GB /var is enought. Well, it isn't.

I'm kinda bummed. I have a large production installatation (over 1500AP-s) and the backup for real takes 3 hours. It was not very nice to find out the hard way when i restored from the old backup, it could not finish as turned out there wasn't enough room. 

There should be a warning about that. It's not a niche thing. Not everyone has few GB databases. Some actually do have larger ones.