Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave does not list/discover upstream device for switches

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  AirWave does not list/discover upstream device for switches

Posted Dec 15, 2021 10:01 AM
    We have a mixed environment with older Cisco switches, Aruba OS-Switch models, and recently some Aruba OS-CX models including a pair of 8325s at the core. We use AirWave for monitoring and most switches do not list their upstream device. There are some that do, but it is hit and miss. For example, there are several OS-Switch stacks connected to the 8325 core. Some of those list one of the 8325s as its upstream device, but some do not. Most distribution level switches are connected to both cores, with the 8325 config having multi-chassis LAGs configured for redundancy. But we also see the upstream device missing from some access level switches that are not directly connected to the core.

I've seen a number of older posts about this topic where CDP and bridge table are mentioned as the discovery method. "show cdp neighbors" generally shows the correct upstream devices on Ciscos and Arubas, though I understand that this is mostly a backward compatibility for the Arubas and they do not support it for querying this type of data. LLDP is active on the Cisco switches and I can run "show lldp neighbors" and usually see the correct devices. In one case, I have a Cisco access level switch connected to an OS-Switch distribution level switch, which is in turn connected to the core. Via LLDP, the Cisco sees the core as a neighbor, but not the OS-Switch between them.

We added each of the two 8325 cores to AirWave via their management interfaces, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to monitor them via AirWave. Interestingly, the 8325s list a random access switch as their upstream device.

Looking for any guidance or troubleshooting tips that folks may have on this topic. I am happy to open a support case, but figured I'd start here. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AirWave does not list/discover upstream device for switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2021 08:45 AM
    Hi Jason,

Open TAC ticket to troubleshoot this issue, we need to check logs on switch and also on Airwave, need to check Airwave logs whether upstream information is coming or not and also need to do manually snmp walk for upstream info.

------------------------------
    Pavan Arshewar
    Principal Network Engineer

If my post addresses your query, give kudos!
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: AirWave does not list/discover upstream device for switches

Posted Dec 21, 2021 10:57 PM
    Currently working with support on this, but am curious if anyone has added an ISL OS-CX stack to AirWave and what is the best way to do this? I added the two 8325s in this scenario via their management IPs, but I am suspicious that this is in some way causing issues with upstream device detection based on some things we saw during first troubleshooting session.