Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Find a Mac address in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 26, 2021 09:54 PM
    Hi Community,

We are using Airwave 8.2.12.0. Is there a way to see in Airwave to which port a specific Mac address is connected?
    For example, I know that a device with the Mac address AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA is connected to a switch on our network.
    Is there a possibility to see immediately to which switch and to which port?

thanks for replies
    Greetings

------------------------------
    Mike710

• 2.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 27, 2021 10:07 AM
    Are the devices you are seeking APs?  If so, and if your switches are also in Airwave, the upstream port is listed on the device details.  If you are looking for other devices, you can search the mac address in the little search magnifying glass up by your account name in the top right.  Again, though, the connected switch and port are only available if the connected switch is also in Airwave.  

More experienced users may have other insights though.

I only have about 30% of my switches in Airwave so I often pull up all the possible switches and search for devices in the mac address tables on those switches.  If you have a good terminal emulator like SecureCRT you can run a search command on all the switches at once. 

-Bill

William Songstad

• 3.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 27, 2021 11:27 AM
    Hello Harbor Billy,

thank you for the feedback.
    As you can see in the screenshot I just try that and then enter for example the Mac address of my PC. The switch where my pc is connected to is already inventoried in Airwave.
    But I can try this with any other Mac address, it only works with APs.

• 4.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 27, 2021 08:07 PM
    Perhaps we are on different versions or screens.  I'm on 8.2.10.1  

The search function is found here: 

And the results show up in a tab that you can't navigate to unless you have started a search:

-Bill

• 5.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 10:17 AM
    this menu item "search" is not displayed at all in the left column.
    Is there possibly a setting here what i have to do?

Greetings

• 6.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 10:50 AM
    Yeah.  Airwave is loaded with "menu items"  that only show up on the left once accessed from an entirely different location.  If you look at the images I sent earlier, the search results in the second picture only show up in the menu on the left AFTER I search from the magnifying glass at the top right of the first picture.  I was able to find my device by selecting the tiny drop down next to the magnifying glass after clicking in to the search box and then selecting Active + historical clients + all categories.

-Bill

• 7.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 11:04 AM
    Thanks, I've learned something new today.  That makes me understand this issue, and another I've run into but not really worked very hard to solve.  I've noticed in the past that it seems like I can search only for clients that are currently connected.  I know it has connection history for a client, but would only be able to find it if i searched when that client was online.  It's the same solution choose "Active + historical clients + all categories" on the menu I've never noticed before.  I wish "Active + historical clients + all categories" was the default choice. I think that's always what I want when I search.  I can't think of a good reason to limit my search only to what's currently connected.

Adam Forsyth

• 8.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 11:33 AM
    ok perfect. If I select an option like for example >> Active + historical clients + all categories << then the search field is also displayed on the right, but unfortunately it does not find any result. And as forsystad says, the Mac address is detected on the switch under monitoring.

greetings

Mike710

• 9.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 10:19 AM
    Interesting I think I can confirm that I see the same behavior, and I've noticed a new detail.  I found a mac address that I knew was online on one of my switches, and the switch is connected to Airwave.  If I search for the mac address in that general search box, it shows me nothing.  if I find the switch under Device -->Monitor and then click on the Connected tab for the switch, it shows me all of the mac addresses connected to each port including the one I was looking for.

Adam Forsyth

• 10.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 10:29 AM
    that's exactly how it is. If I search the Mac address directly under Devices-> monitoring then it is displayed.
    I had this problem also with the previous version which was also 8.2.10.

Mike710

• 11.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 10:39 AM
    So is that a feature or a bug?  I believe I can search for and find wired mac addresses that are connected to a hospitality access point (we have both 303h and 205h) so it seems like what it considers as a client are only those clients that show up in the controller(s) as clients.  We're not set up to do it right now, but I'd like to be at some point....I wonder if we had our switches set up to do tunneled node and dynamic segmentation if those clients would show up in airwave since they would then be getting allowed network access by the controller(s).

Adam Forsyth

• 12.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 11:00 AM
    So is that a feature or a bug?  I believe I can search for and find wired mac addresses that are connected to a hospitality access point (we have both 303h and 205h) so it seems like what it considers as a client are only those clients that show up in the controller(s) as clients.  We're not set up to do it right now, but I'd like to be at some point....I wonder if we had our switches set up to do tunneled node and dynamic segmentation if those clients would show up in airwave since they would then be getting allowed network access by the controller(s).

Adam Forsyth

• 13.  RE: Find a Mac address in Airwave

Posted Jan 29, 2021 11:06 AM
    Oops, managed to post this twice, and it doesn't look like I have the ability to delete the redundant post.  :(

Adam Forsyth