Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 17, 2021 01:34 PM

Update: i figured out that the bottom switch seems to be the commander for the other 4 switches and its ip works, the other one for the poe is a commander with the other ip.

So now the question on vlans, i need to have the port i've located Not be part of the existing vlan so it is isolated (though i assume dns/internet wont work on that port), do i just configure a second vlan, is it tagged or untagged and assign that one to the port in need?

I also cant figure out how in the interface to add/remove vlans

Originally a few years back i configured this set of switches with trunking (i think) , two stacks (i think also) and transceivers on the back connecting each one for redundancy.

Here was the original thread, i've tried reading through to remind myself exactly how this was configured but not much luck so far.

The issue is that i cant figure out how to set a port to a different vlan ( also unsure if should be tagged or untagged) on the 5th device in the set.  When i view the gui i can only see the very first network switch (commander?), the first one is a poe the rest arent.  If i put the ip address in for the second switch or any other, it times out or wont come up.

Anyone have any ideas here, im reaching back in memory and without many physical notes from then to realize exactly what i did or how i should be able to see those other ports?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 17, 2021 03:09 PM
    Hi! can you post sanitized running configurations of both stacks? generally tagging or untagging a port has a direct relationship with (is a requirement tied by) the connected peer...as example: a VLAN unaware host not configure to tag egressing packets (nor to accept ingressing tagged packets) requires a port which is untagged member of a specific VLAN Id...but is the host is VLAN tagging capable then that configuration changes and that very same port could be configured as a tagged member of the required VLAN Id. That's just to say that "it depends" on what is connected, what you want to propagate and how you want do it.

• 3.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 17, 2021 04:33 PM
    Not sure how to list that, im in the traditional gui as admin :

Untagged:  1/1-1/29,1/31,1/33-1/48,1/A1-1/A2,2/1-2/48,3/1-3/48,4/1-4/48,Trk1

Basically all are untagged i think.

The one i need to be on its own vlan isolated is 2-40 i think

However in the interface i'm not sure how to do that, i guess i would want to mark 2-40 as another vlan?  I dont see a way to add vlans or tag ports in either interface.
    edit: i was in as admin not "manager" i think this is why
    edit2: i log in as manager but it still says operator, so not quite there

Existing vlans (I think i only really use id 1, the first one):

vlan table
    1 Default vlan
    20 dmz
    50 management
    100 servers
    150 workstations-lan
    200 VOIP

Well actually maybe voip is used in commander #1 with the dual poe switches (6 total switches, first two are poe for voip)

i guess i'd want to make another vlan ID call it say "Isolated" and utilize it

• 4.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 17, 2021 06:39 PM
    Are you able to use the CLI? GUI is not made to be able to completely configure a switch.

show vlan (for a list of all defined VLANs)
    show vlan ports ethernet <Port-ID> details (for listing a physical or logical - such as a Port Trunk - <Port-ID> interface's VLAN memberships <- very useful)

To untag a port in a particular VLAN Id go to that VLAN Id context (with the vlan <VLAN-ID> command), once in execute untagged <Port-ID> (where, as above, <Port-ID> could represent a physical or a logical interface), the very same for tagging, execute tagged <Port-ID>, always check before/after with the second show command above. Use exit command to exit the context you were in and write memory to save your changes.

------------------------------
    Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 18, 2021 09:23 AM
    Hi Mark,

You will have to CLI into the switch you are trying to configure. We use putty. Once logged in as manager execute the following commands:
    config t
    vlan 25 (25 is whatever vlan you are trying to put that port in)
    untagged 2/40
    tagged trk1 (trk1 is whatever your uplink port is and remember if it is going to another switch down the line before your core switch that that VLAN must be tagged on those switches as well.)
    exit
    write memory

Matt Parker

• 6.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 18, 2021 11:11 AM
    Thanks, I was able to putty over to the cli

i wanted to be sure on a few things.

How do i know on the tagged trk1, is it trk1?   (edit: below i think confirms it)
    I have
    Switch01 - POE1   commander of this set
    Switch02 - POE2  

Then
    Switch03
    Switch04
    Switch05
    Switch06 and here the commander of this set, all linked with transceivers (this is where i cli'd to)

if at least in the gui, i view "trunks", i do see "Trk1, ports 4/A1, 4A2, lacp)

If i want to create a new VLAN ID how do i do that via the cli?
    If i want to backup the switches configuration before doing this, whats the easiest way? edit: found the spot in the main gui
    Will any communication be lost on the other ports when i do the vlan switch on that port? (worried about daytime disruption, mishap)

Lastly, once i isolate this port, i assume, naturally, it wont have internet/dns flowing on that port, completely isolated from the network.

• 7.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 18, 2021 12:32 PM

EDIT/update:

I ran the commands

The gui shows the new 210 vlan i made and 2/40 being untagged.. it shows tagged trk1
    The existing main vlan 1, shows all the untagged ports, but for tagged it says none

However, when i plug a laptop into 2/40, it still has full network / internet access, unsure what i did wrong
    edit: oops it was 2/42 not 2/40 :D

So i need to do the reverse to 2/40

is it
    config t
    vlan 1
    untagged 2/40
    untagged trk1   (is this the difference here)?

• 8.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 18, 2021 05:29 PM
    Hi, one question: why you're narrating us what commands you type are doing when it's easier to simply copy and paste the commands you type and the results they generates?

Please, do us a favor...do a show running-configuration, copy and paste its output on notepad, sanitize it by removing sensitive information you should hide (MAC Addresses, Serial Numbers, Usernames, etc. leave the necessary to understand who-is-who and what-is-what) and post here using the Paragraph -> Preformatted style (for a better reading) so we can understand what you are referring to.

What you want to achieve?

Do you want to create an "isolated" VLAN (say VLAN id 210) and assign the port 2/40 (interface 40 of the 2nd Stack Member) to that VLAN as untagged so the connected peer will be on that VLAN id?

Then go to VLAN 210 context:

vlan 210

then execute:

untagged 2/40
    write memory
    exit
    verify the setting you imposed with:

show vlan ports ethernet 2/40 detail

The very same approach could be used for tagging/untagging a logical interface like the trk<id> type.

With regards to "isolation": if VLAN 210 is not routed by the Stack (it has no SVI) or by another interconnected Switch/Firewall to the Stack, the outgoing traffic from the VLAN unaware host connected on port 2/40 will be "placed" into VLAN 210 inside the switch (Stack) and it will go nowhere, well it will be transported eventually (if that VLAN 210 is transported on a uplink/downlink interface to other peer switches)...but it will not be routed since the VLAN 210 has no SVI (on the switching infrastructure or on your Firewall if this one is the router for all/part of your network segments), the same could be said about the incoming traffic into the VLAN unaware host connected to port 2/40...clearly TWO hosts on the very same VLAN 210 (not necessarily on the same switch) will be able to communicate each others under particular conditions (provided that IP Addressing matches).

show trunks and show lacp will show you IF you have Port Trunks on your stack.

show lldp info remote-device will show you connected peers (exchanging LLDP).

Note: maybe you already know but a trk interface means - in the grammar of ArubaOS-Switch / HP ProVision OS based switches like your ones - that you're dealing with a logical interface which is the representation of a links aggregation of two or more physical interfaces (and this aggregation is "Non Protocol" driven, when it is configured with the trunk option, or it is "LACP" driven when it is configured with the lacp option), please do not confuse this Port Trunking (trk<Id>) logical interface with a "trunk interface" in the Cisco meaning (Cisco calls trunk interface an interface carrying more VLANs, to simplify...it operates as a trunk for VLANs).

Davide Poletto

• 9.  RE: Five HP2920's, stacking, two stacks, vlan configuring, cant bring up full list of ports?

Posted Nov 22, 2021 03:46 PM
    Well at this point 2/40 is part of the 210 new vlan, so is port 42.

I want to reset port 40 back to the vlan 1 (default_vlan)
    Thats the syntax at this point i was making sure i do correctly

config t
    vlan 1
    untagged 2/40 
    exit
    write memory
    (nothing more?, ie: no trk tagging to revert)

On the isolated, ideally the vlan is isolated from the rest of the network traffic but could have internet, the only way i saw around that was if i put our dmz out from our router into another vlan 210 port that i designate, shouldnt that then allow internet traffic and still isolate the ports from the local LAN on Vlan id of 1?