Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

Posted Nov 04, 2019 03:44 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to pull a Device Inventory report from Central via the API (as there doesn't appear to be a method of pulling this from the GUI) but regardless of whether I try via the Swagger interface or via Curl I get the following message....

{"message":"API rate limit exceeded"}

This seems to happen no matter what API call I make, but I have previously been able to use the API gateway via Swagger.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2019 05:16 AM

There is a default rate-limit on Central API calls of 1000 calls per day. Could it be that you exceeded that number? The limit should clear every day.

When writing against the API, make sure that your calls are relevant and needed to reduce the load and number of calls.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

Posted Nov 07, 2019 05:31 PM

Hi Herman,

It looks like that's the likely cause, we have a developer working on pulling data from Aruba Central (via API) into Grafana, pretty sure that is the likely cuplret as can't see that my meager API calls are likely to generate that many in a day!

Will have to reach out to the developer in question and see if there is any way of reducing the number of API calls he's making as it's leaving me stuffed when I actually need to use the API to replace functionality that ought to be in the base product (like inventory reporting for example!).

Thanks,

Matt.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

Posted Aug 27, 2021 11:49 AM
    I just came across this error this morning while trying to figure out an automated way to update my IAP hostnames in Aruba Central.  I believe this functionality that should be in the product, but I was just in the process of figuring out the pycentral "update_ap_settings" commands when I ran out of API calls for the day.  How annoying!  It would be nice if I could just upload a csv with the device names I want and Aruba Central could actually process that instead of having to fight the API they provide to do the same thing -- manually setting hundreds or thousands of device names is not acceptable!

------------------------------
    Clay Berlo

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2021 03:58 AM
    Please reach out to TAC, if they can update those names for you. In template mode you can import, in standard mode, I could not find the option either.

If TAC confirms that there is indeed no import/bulk update possible, ask your partner or Aruba SE to request this as a feature through Aruba Innovation Zone.

I heard rumours that the API call limit is also under investigation, in a way that customers with more devices can do more daily API calls.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

Posted Aug 30, 2021 09:20 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I did reach out to TAC, and was told no such script exists, but that I could always ask for it as a feature.

Clay Berlo

• 7.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2021 08:35 AM
    Hi cberlo,

If you want take a look at this hosted at Aruba's github https://github.com/aruba/central-automation-studio
    It is linked to Aaron Scott's Central Automation platform (https://central.wifidownunder.com)

He has done exactly what you asked for as listed in his documentation https://central.wifidownunder.com/documentation.html#csv-row

Check section "Auto Rename Access Points"

Hope you find it useful..

Ayman Mukaddam

• 8.  RE: Aruba Central API - Rate Limit Exceeded

Posted Aug 30, 2021 09:25 AM
    I have scripted a way to do the majority of what I want already, but I'll look into setting up the framework, on top of the Central API framework.  It does seem like a lot of work for something that should already be in the product, as mentioned.

Clay Berlo