Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Question about multiple VLANs and DHCP

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Question about multiple VLANs and DHCP

Posted Sep 03, 2020 01:56 AM

Good day, I’ve been tasked with configuring Aruba AP 515 routers for deployment, using Aruba Central. They’re supposed to be configured with 3 WiFi networks with different VLANs, each with their own DHCP. I have managed to make the router accept one Centralized, L3 DHCP scope and broadcast a WiFi succesfully.

However, the problem arises when I’m trying to introduce multiple VLANs (and DHCP scopes) to the router. When doing so, all of the WiFi connections start giving me DHCP errors. The socket the router is connected to is tagged, so it shouldn’t cause any problems either. I’ve tried to set the VLAN IDs for the WiFis with the Static option but that didn’t work.

I have tried googling this issue and reading carefully through the official help documents but with no avail. I’m not very knowledgeable on networking so any help would be greatly appreciated. I might have left out some vital information too so please let me know.

• 2.  RE: Question about multiple VLANs and DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2020 03:25 AM

Hi,

The recommended way is to configure your IAPs as layer 2 only and keep the DHCP server outside. So you will configure 3 wireless networks with 3 different vlans. You tag your switch ports with these 3 vlans. The Layer 3 Gateway on each of these vlans will be outside and it will provide DHCP or do a DHCP relay to your DHCP server. You just need to make sure that the vlans are extended all the way to your layer 3 device in each vlan.