Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Evaluating Aruba Central

This thread has been viewed 54 times
  • 1.  Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Sep 02, 2021 12:19 PM

Hi,

We are evaluating Aruba central and considering using it as we have primarily Aruba switches. I testing now with out test switch (2920) , and ive successfully added it and tested software upgrade. But I am a bit baffled that we seem to loose CLI control over the switch once provisioned. Is this really how its supposed to be? All setup has to be done via Aruba central once added? I pretty much only have basic commands left available in CLI. I cannot even enter vlan mode etc?

------------------------------
    Tore Valberg

• 2.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 02, 2021 08:32 PM
    yes thats the case. once you enable configuration and mgmt from Aruba Central, then you need to use it rather than CLI.
    this is basically to have one place to do your configuration.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Sep 03, 2021 06:16 AM
    Ohh wow, that is crazy :(

Tore Valberg

• 4.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2021 10:01 AM
    Think it would be crazy if you have a management system that has the desired configuration, and you can do local config changes to get away from that desired configuration. The whole idea of Central is to make sure that all connected devices are matching the configuration.

As mentioned, for troubleshooting, you can temporarily get in disaster recovery mode and control the switch locally, and when you restore the connection to Central it will get again what is configured.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Sep 07, 2021 06:02 AM

The thing is we are looking for a NMS, not a replacement of management interface.

We have around 100 sites, 1 - 3 switches per site. Each site has vastly different config. So we would need close to 100 templates.

The ZTP and monitoring is very appealing, and we could just run it with support mode on and auto commit off. BUT, we are also hiring. I picture a new employee making small changes to a template, to then instinctively click "Commit" = DISASTER

My main issues is:

- Inflexible configuration management
    - Danger of overwriting manual config accidentally (or otherwise)

- Lack of real config backup. Ive only found a way to back up templates, not actual config files.

Its a shame, as the ZTP and monitoring seems great. And i like the gui, But I am afraid we need to look for something else. We haven't fully decided to continue with Aruba to renew our switches as well, so maybe its time to look elsewhere,

Tore Valberg

• 6.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Sep 08, 2021 01:51 AM
    What about HPE IMC?

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/networking/management.html

Captain-Obvious

• 7.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Oct 15, 2021 06:32 AM
    Hi, we are also gonna use central as our manament/monitoring platform, i can see in the latest release off central you can have aruba os switch in monitor mode, and you can make a template groups for the ztp and then move i to monitor mode after, we are aiming for template groups but we will start in the monitor mode to start with. 
    Hope that helps

Morten Johannsen

• 8.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

Posted Sep 03, 2021 09:39 AM
    Is there a disaster recovery option to get CLI and sever the connection to Central if needed for any reason.

Alan Scott

• 9.  RE: Evaluating Aruba Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2021 09:15 PM
    yes you can turn off the "auto commit" at the group level or device level, its under "configuration audit"

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.