Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

This thread has been viewed 58 times
  • 1.  Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Feb 25, 2021 11:13 PM
    Hello,

Just new to Aruba Central. We have a small network with 2 x 3810m stacked and 3 stacks of 2930fs.  I configured the network using CLI before the Central licence arrived and all was good.  Everything working. This is a staged deployment so no actual users yet.  
    I added the switches to ACentral to the default group.  After a firware update pushed out by Central I can no longer manage the switches via cli.  It seems like a completely restricted command set.

I did notice that if i took the switches offline from central full access was available again.   Is this normal ?

example:

CORE(config)# conf t
    Invalid input: conf
    CORE(config)# int
    Invalid input: int
    CORE(config)# int
    Invalid input: int
    CORE(config)# interface vlan 100
    Invalid input: interface
    CORE(config)# wr mem
    Invalid input: mem
    CORE(config)#

Any advice guys ?

------------------------------
    Andrew Brown

• 2.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 03:22 AM
    Yes, that is normal. When switches are managed by Central, your local configuration is restricted because any changes you make will be immediately overwritten by the Central configuration at the next push.

If for some reason, you need to do local configuration while connected to Central, you can use the command:
    # aruba-central support-mode enable​

What you see is expected. And it is well possible that earlier firmware did not have that check if central is connected

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Mar 22, 2021 01:04 PM
    Hello Team,

Thanks lot for your reply.

Helped me out. 

Best reg,
    Umangish

Umangish Chumun

• 4.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Mar 18, 2021 03:32 PM
    You can use the command-line interface (CLI) to install software updates. to data during the update, you can use the force flag to override this restriction.

Fraser Watts

• 5.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Mar 18, 2021 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys.   Just so used to banging out configs manually !    Got to grips with the Aruba setup and must say very impressed.  Old dog new tricks :)

Andrew Brown

• 6.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Apr 22, 2021 05:41 PM
    This is unacceptable in our network.

Here's how it should work:
    Pull the config from the switch, compare to template.
    Every time.
    Report the result.

The product is just not usable to manage switches yet.

john Stigall

• 7.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2021 03:03 AM
    I would suggest that you reach out to your local Aruba SE and discuss this. The way it is designed, blocking local configuration when managed by Central, works for most cases. You obviously don't like it, but allowing local configuration that is overridden by a centralized management platform and reversed at the next sync, is probably worse. Or I don't understand what you want, because what you describe is exactly what happens. Template is the 'desired config', and is compared to the running config, then changes are pushed to the switch config.

Many engineers are used to build manual configs, but at scale that will not work and having both central and local control will make it unmanageable, at least at scale. It will require a different way of working from the network admin. And as mentioned before, if you need to test some local commands, enter central support mode and do whatever you want. Just be aware that when you disable that mode, all changed not committed in the central configuration are reverted.

As mentioned, please speak to your local Aruba team to get the options explained and find what is working for you and if features need to be added they can feed that into the product development process as well.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 8.  RE: Firmware upgrade and now restricted CLI commands

Posted Apr 23, 2021 06:38 AM

I've never seen a GUI management system that didn't need some help from the CLI. Ever.

Remember the history is TopTools (fail), Airwave (fail), Central...not that great yet.

Templates are nice, but switch management should have room for local changes done quickly.