Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

Posted Nov 18, 2020 06:01 PM
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen strange behaviour when managing switches in GUI mode (so, not template mode) if you have switches open in multiple tabs?  We have seen some awfully strange things going on recently and we're pretty sure they're related to this.
    If you have two switches open in different tabs (switch A and switch B), if you refresh both tabs they will change to switch A.  It's like somewhere in the backend it only ever recognises one switch being open at all.

Taking that further, we think if you have two switches open in two different tabs and apply configuration to switch B, it will actually be pushed to switch A.  I know that sounds crazy, but we've broken the config of our switches multiple times with this.  We thought it was just user error, but it's beyond that now.  We know that because Central has tried to push impossible config to our switches more than once.  I had a situation where config was pushed, the switch broke and then did an auto rollback and turned auto-commit off.  There was then failed/pending config left in the Config Audit for the switch.  But the config was for a stacked switch, the switch in question was standalone.  How did it manage to try and push stacked config to a standalone switch?  We think it's because a stacked and standalone were open in different tabs.

So, we've reported this to support.  To the tech's credit he went through it with me and he too saw odd and unexplainable things going on. Since then, the silence has been deafening.  Meanwhile, we're managing our switches through Central like paranoid crazy people - only ever using one tab or if we need to cross-reference switches, using two browsers.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Apart from the one support tech. who eventually saw something like this I feel like I'm chasing ghosts!

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 06:40 AM
    Can you please send me the case number in a private message?

This should not happen and if it indeed happens it should be fixed.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

Posted Nov 19, 2020 05:21 PM
    Thanks Herman, PM sent.

I thought I'd update this with a little more info for everyone else.  Below are two screenshots of the same switch.  One shows the port listing on the switch and the other shows the pending config for the same.  You'll notice the ports in the UI are listed as 1,2,3,4 but the ports in the config are 1/1, 2/1 etc.
    It's no wonder the config push failed.

I'm open to other explanations for this, but from everything we've seen there's a serious bug here.

Thanks.

Hal Douglas

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

Posted Nov 23, 2020 05:14 PM
    Hi all,

I'm just circling back to provide some information that I've had through support today.  I figure this is going to be useful to anyone else who encounters this in the future (or anyone who's already encountered it and just never thought this could happen).

For now, Multi Tab support for central to the use of different switches or any other construct is not supported. Hence if the user uses 2 tabs of the same browser to view/configure any construct may result in a miss configuration and display data mess up.

We are working on providing the support in 2.5.4.

So a) the problem does exist, and b) it's going to be fixed sometime in a future release.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

Hal Douglas

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central Multi-Tab Bug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2020 04:05 AM
    Thanks for that update. For others in the same situation, what would work is to have one browser with a single tab to make your modifications and use another browser or private/incognito window to view your reference data to avoid the information/cookies between tabs to mix-up.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.