Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

How to control bandwith using WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up/Down

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  How to control bandwith using WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up/Down

Posted Jan 07, 2021 03:15 PM

Hello,
    In my setup I have AP-303H managed by Aruba Central
    One SSID is configured to use external portal and FreeRadius.
    When AP authenticate user the Radius Server sends two attributes in
    response:

• WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up and WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Down 

but seems like the AP is completely ignoring these values.

So my question is how can I control the bandwidth dynamically per user?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Alexander Shulgin

• 2.  RE: How to control bandwith using WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up/Down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2021 07:50 AM
    Don't think those attributes are supported, and if they are it is probably only when WISPr authentication is configured. Captive Portal is not the same as WISPr.

Bandwidth management is done on the role level. Add a rule of type Bandwidth Contract to your role:

Then by returning different roles in the Aruba-User-Role RADIUS return attribute you can assign that role.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: How to control bandwith using WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up/Down

Posted Jan 08, 2021 12:05 PM

Thanks.
    Unfortunately we cannot use static roles and need to dynamically change the bandwidth enforcement.

Is anything else could be done here to control the bandwidth by just sending plain Radius response? Any idea why Aruba decided to implement it in such complicated way?

Alexander Shulgin

• 4.  RE: How to control bandwith using WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up/Down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2021 03:34 AM
    Especially when you want to adapt and have them assigned dynamically user roles are great in most cases. If you have 3 or 4 bandwidth profiles, you just create 3 or 4 roles and can put the bandwidth contracts in there but also per-application access/QoS/bandwidth. Just return the role name as RADIUS attribute during the authentication, or use CoA/RFC3799 afterwards to change the role. In most cases using roles as an 'abstraction' makes things easier and better maintainable. With the information you shared, it is hard to tell how to make roles work to your benefit.

Maybe best to speak to your Aruba partner or Aruba SE to get yourself educated in user roles.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.