Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

Posted Apr 14, 2021 05:14 PM

I found instructions on how to update an AP name AND the VC name.  It advises to go to devices, find the device I want to update, click edit, and change the name. 

This worked for the main AP name.

But if I then go to "organization" then select a group, it shows the AP's and the "name listed is "SetMeUp-xx:xx:xx" where the X's are the Mac.

I want that to also show the new name I gave the AP, not the setMeUP Mac name.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

------------------------------
    Matt Ervin

• 2.  RE: AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 15, 2021 01:27 AM
    you can change the VC name by going to the group for your APs, then "devices" -> "configure" -> "system"

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

Posted Apr 15, 2021 11:50 AM

Thanksk for the reply.

I origionally said it didn't work, but it did.

It took about 2 hours for some reason, but did end up updating.

Thank you!

Matt

• 4.  RE: AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 15, 2021 07:29 PM
    ok thats weird, it should not take that long. but in future try to see if it is a browser issue by using a different one and clearing the cache.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

Posted Apr 16, 2021 11:58 AM

Neat trick after playing around with this.

If an accesspoint connects to a VC, it shows it's VC name as what ever that name is, for an example, lets say it's VC1.

SO AP101 connects and joints AP200, and AP 200 has a VC name of VC1.

Then, as your moving stuff around and installing, when AP101 comes back up, if it didn't reconnect to AP200 as it's VC.... Well it will become it's own VC.

The fun part, they will now BOTH have the same VC name, so they both look like VC1.... Super confusing.

Matt

• 6.  RE: AP name not same as "VC" name - how to change VC Name

Posted Apr 17, 2021 01:03 PM
    Hey Matt,
    Actually we are talking about two different entities: VC and IAP.
    VC is, as the name says, a Virtual Controller. Generally, the first IAP you setup will provide the VC role, from where you configure your environment through CLI or, preferably through GUI. 
    Assuming that this first IAP was in its factory default state, it automatically provides an SSID in its 2.4 radio called SetMeUp:xx:xx:xx and also names the Cluster it creates as SetMeUp:xx:xx:xx. (The Cluster is represented by the VC).
    All the subsequent IAPs you connect in the same broadcast domain that you put the first one, will be a member of that cluster. then, by default each IAP will have its own MAC address as hostname and SetMeUp:xx:xx:xx as Cluster name.

Hope it helps

MAURICIO LOPES