Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Jump to Best Answer
This thread has been viewed 143 times
  • 1.  Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:26 AM

Hi

I have HP 2610 and 2530 POE switches to which I connect my aps (AP 135, AP 105, AP 205).

Looking at the logs i see a lot of the following messages regarding the ports to which aps are connected:

W 07/23/15 15:32:47 00327 FFI: port 4-Excessive undersized/giant packets. See help.
    W 07/23/15 15:32:27 00327 FFI: port 3-Excessive undersized/giant packets. See help.

The MTU size is set to "" in SAP MTU, so it should be set automatically.

Why I got those messages? 

What can I do?

#AP205

• 2.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:27 AM

• 3.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Yes, I had read the article, but didn't read the link posted below

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/Oversize-jumbo-frame-errors/m-p/5421/highlight/true#M1860

so setting the MTU size to 1500 is in this case a best practice, did I understood it correctly?

• 4.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 23, 2015 12:05 PM

Yes, if you set the AP MTU to 1500, it should solve the problem.

Thanks,

Massimo

• 5.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Feb 04, 2021 02:55 PM
    This is a little dated.  Is this still relevant with 8.x code?  I am seeing the same thing here on an HPE/Aruba switch with an Aruba AP attached to it.

------------------------------
    Jim Lucas

• 6.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2021 03:29 PM
    Yes.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Feb 05, 2021 09:52 AM
    Colin,

I cannot access some of the articles linked from above.  Is this a problem or just an annoyance?  If nothing is broken, should I be concerned?

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim Lucas

• 8.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2021 01:23 PM
    That link was before the forum was migrated.  The tl;dr is to set the MTU in the AP system profile to 1500 to stop the "giants".

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 9.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Aug 10, 2022 04:05 AM

Hi.

I cannot find any MTU settings in Aruba central? (Checked under Access point (tab) -> config -> System (tab) and wish "show advanced").

Could you please provide a screenshot or a more exact description of where/how this setting is accessed/modified?

(funny thing is I'm 99.9% sure I've seen MTU during setups lots of times so I'm wondering if it's been removed in newer versions of central)

• 10.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 04:26 AM
    Unless you are tunneling traffic from an access point to a controller, this thread doesn't apply to Central-Based Instant access points.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 11.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted Aug 10, 2022 05:09 AM
    Thank you for the quick answer.
    I see, but how then do I get rid of the "Excessive undersized/giant packets" warning (that also turn my overview map red as if switches are down 🙄) for certain switch ports that are connected to Aruba AP:s?

• 12.  RE: Excessive undersized/giant packets. error on HP devices

Posted 27 days ago
    Actually it does - managing IAPs and switches in Central applies as switch default MTU sizes are 1500 and IAP default MTU sizes are 1300. Executing a CLI command of "mtu 1500" will not change the SAP/RAP MTU sizes of your br0 bridge and it will not remedy your "Excessive undersized/giant packets" alerts.

Unfortunately I have not yet found the fix-action.