Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:11 PM

Hi community,

We have been deploying a wireless network with several campus, using Mobility Master to manage our Mobility Controllers. At the beggining everything was working fine, and we were able to rename the campus APs, but suddenly the Mobility Master stopped from rename APs, we have tried using the WebUI and ssh too, the AP reboots and it remains with the same name.

So, I was wondering if any of you have experimented this problem.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:13 PM

What version of ArubaOS on the MM and what version on the Aruba Controller?

• 3.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:15 PM

Hi cjoseph

Version: 8.2.0.1 on both MM and Controllers.

• 4.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:20 PM

Is the access point in the AP Whitelist? "

show whitelist-db cpsec

• 5.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:32 PM

Yes, I just checked.

• 6.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:34 PM

Does the cpsec whitelist have the APs new name or old name?

• 7.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Apr 27, 2018 04:48 PM

Sorry I hit the Solution button by mistake.

And it has the oldname.

• 8.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 05:35 PM

You shouldn't have to do this, but change the name or ap-group of a single AP in the cpsec whitelist.  Reboot the AP and see if it takes the new name or ap-group.

• 9.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Apr 27, 2018 07:34 PM
    Thank you so much cjoseph, it worked.

I really appreciate your help.

• 10.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Jul 22, 2021 11:31 AM
    #Edit
    Ok, I changed the name through CLI and it worked. So, changing via GUI with this method doesn't work but over CLI it does.
    Thanks Colin!!

Hello Colin, how are you?

I'm having the same problem as dmendez7. I changed the AP name through the managed network level on the mobility master, the ap rebooted but it didn't changed the name.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards.

------------------------------
    Gonzalo Lopez

• 11.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 01:47 PM
    What command did you use to change the AP through the CLI?
    Where did you attempt to change it through the GUI?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 12.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Jul 22, 2021 02:37 PM
    Through the GUI I changed it from Managed network -- Configuration -- Access Points -- Whitelist as seen in the next screenshot (although I had to manually reboot the AP after since it didn't automatically restarted):
    In the CLI with the next command:
    (ArubaMM-VA_9B_89_98) *[mynode] #ap-rename ap-name oldAP newAP
    Version of MM and MC 8.5.
    Best regards.

Gonzalo Lopez Moreira

• 13.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 03:45 PM
    Try deleting the AP from the whitelist.  It should take time (10 minutes, maybe) to reboot and appear online again.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 14.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Jan 11, 2023 11:38 AM
    This is how I had to do it, by deleting first. The whitelist-db commands were allowing me to change the group of the AP, but not to rename it. Had to delete via MM CLI, delete it from the GUI, leave it while I had a phone call, then add it back via CLI.

• 15.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2023 11:56 AM
    I would honestly not touch the whitelist and allow the controller to auto-approve and automatically add devices to the whitelist (with the mac address as the ap-name).  This will allow you to provision access points normally without the fear that the whitelist will overwrite it.

The whitelist is an opportunity to control ap name and ap-group from a single interface, but it locks you out from doing it in any other interface, which is restrictive.  The search function is also not as robust in the whitelist interface as it is in the AP provisioning interface, so for managing hundreds of access points, the provisioning interface just works better, in my opinion.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 16.  RE: Mobility Master stopped from rename AP.

Posted Jan 11, 2023 12:15 PM
    Interesting that you say this, because with our deployment, doing anything like moving an AP to a new group, or re-naming via the GUI doesn't work. The AP will reboot after, say, the ap-group change, but will come right back up in the old group.
    Searching the Campus AP Whitelist in the GUI is terrible though - thousands of APs, and no search box to help us find what we want to change.  We don't use the wired MAC as the AP name, they're named as per their location, though I guess that could be achieved as a description instead.