Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

303H Loop Detection

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  303H Loop Detection

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 05:00 PM

I'm testing some different loop scenarios with my 303H. I am forcing loops to watch the Loop Detection Kick in and disable a port. I have loop detection enabled, but at the moment I do not have autorecovery enabled. Because of this, I have to manually recover the port.

In the documentation (https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_84_Web_Help/content/arubaframestyles/ap_config/loop_protect.htm) it says when the loop is detected and disables a port, the port is put into Loop-ERR status. My question is, where do I view the status of my AP's wired ports and where would I see this status?

Running show ap port status ap-name <ap name> is not giving it to me, it just shows the port as down.

In my example below you can see enet4 is shown simply as down, but this port is in fact Loop disabled.

mmCapture.PNG

• 2.  RE: 303H Loop Detection

Posted Sep 26, 2019 06:50 AM

I too am interested in this. 

Not trying to derail your thread, my 303H's are not showing the USB interface when running the same command. Have you enabled the interface in an option somewhere? 

• 3.  RE: 303H Loop Detection

MVP
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 09:23 AM

I'm pretty sure it should be enabled by default. I dont think I had to check anything special to enable it. Make sure it is being supplied full 802.11AT power or DC. In low power mode, it will shut off the USB port (and in some cases can be shut off even when supplied AT.

From 303H datasheet...

- Without IPM, both the USB port and PoE out (PSE)

capability are disabled when the AP is powered by an

802.3af PoE source, and either the USB port or the

PoE out (PSE) capability is disabled when powered

by an 802.3at PoE source (PSE capability is disabled

by default).

- When using IPM, the AP may enter power-save mode

with reduced functionality when powered by a PoE

source

- For the 303H, the IPM power-save feature applies when

the unit is powered by an 802.3af or 802.3at POE source.

By default, the USB interface will be the first feature to

be turned off by IPM if the AP power consumption would

otherwise exceed the available power budget. Specific

power-saving options are programmable with IPM.

• 4.  RE: 303H Loop Detection
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2021 11:34 AM

I'm actually investigating this as well. I finally remembered there's a secondary command for checking port status via "show ap debug port status ap-name <>" that shows information related to Loop and Storm Control. Although it's not the "Loop-ERR" status language i was expecting.

Pictured Below:

"Loop Protect - ON" - Port is operational and not shutdown via Loop Protect.

"ON WITH_SJ_LOOP" - Port is shutdown due to Loop detected.

Also if you have a syslog server - you will see an event for the initial trigger "KERNEL(205H-Loop-Test@10.12.1.177): [170831.028000] asap_loop_protect_detection_rcv: SJ: loop detected with other interface, port: 1 looped with port: 3" - 

show ap debug log ap-name <>

------------------------------
    Christopher Johnson
    ------------------------------