Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multizone License Consumption

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Multizone License Consumption

Posted Jun 18, 2019 11:30 AM

I’m trying to understand the licensing required under the following conditions:

Using 3 standalone VMCs in VSphere: 1 Primary Zone and 2 Data Zone with 6 WAPs

In possession of licenses

• Aruba MC-VA-50 (JZ392AAE) could have gotten by with MC-VA-10, I think
    • Aruba Cntrlr per AP Capacity (JW472AAE)
    • Aruba Cntrlr per AP PEF (JW473AAE)
    • Aruba Cntrlr per AP RFProtect (JW47AAE)

Using Aruba OS 8.1.0.2 or higher

Here are my assumptions:

• Primary Zone (PZ):  WAP initial connection and profile source.
    • Data Zone (DZ): WAP connects after downloading profile from PZ and establishes additional SSIDs for WAP.

Questions:

• How are licenses consumed?
    • Are licenses installed on PZ only or on PZ and each DZ also?
    • Do the VMCs in the  PZ and DZs have any direct communication? i.e. Does PZ act as license pool?
    • Does the WAP initial connection to PZ consume license(s) or is there initial license consumption when WAPs connect to DZs?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Multizone License Consumption

Posted Jun 18, 2019 01:23 PM

Hi,

As per AOS 8.4 multizone did not required separate license.

The DZ will not use an AP license for PZ APs. However, if you need firewall services on the DZ, then you need one
    PEF license to enable the services on the mobility controller.

• 3.  RE: Multizone License Consumption

Posted Nov 26, 2021 11:11 AM
    do you know if I have a cluster of controller is the DZ, will I need one PEF license per controller?

------------------------------
    Diego Arguello

• 4.  RE: Multizone License Consumption

Posted Nov 27, 2021 09:33 AM
    Hi, 

for DZ , you dont need any licenses, but :
    1) to make multizone working, you do really need FR-protect licenses, it should be the same amount as AP quantity managed by DZ, in another way , equal to the number of AP in Multizone AP group. 

2) licenses are instaleld only in PZ, even that RFP lineces i mentioned above.

3) reagridng PZ and DZ direct communication, i think it is not nesessary at all, AP should communicate with DZ , this will be enought.

4) regarding WAP initial connection - AP boots up connects to primary zone, if it is provisioned in multizone AP group, it will know ZD controller IP adress to setup addtional tunnell to DZ. License will be consumed only in PZ. no licenses needed to install in DZ.

5) PEF is required if you are using some policies, and it should be installed in PZ. but in case you will have regular WPA2 personal, you dont need any PEF licenses

Temur Kalandia