Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 20, 2019 01:36 PM

Hi,

We have a pair of 2930M switches with 2930M 4SFP+ (JL083A) modules that we are installing in the back. For some reason neither one will power up.  We do have the stacking modules active next to the uplink slots and they work fine.  I have reseated the modules several times but never even see a status light blink on them when the switch powers up.  Do I need to activate the port they plug into or something?  

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 05:21 AM

Hi,

what SFP + Gbic or DA cable you have installed?
    The module itself is still nothing

Thomas

• 3.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 11:32 AM

I have twinaxial cables going to a couple of servers.  The servers do recognize their 10G ports.  I also have a 10G transceiver in one of the slots but it isn't connected to anything yet.  Even with all the slots empty I do not see any lights when the switch boots up.  

• 4.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 11:37 AM

Are u using Aruba/HPE SFP's ? or 3rd party vendor , if 3rd party vendor,Please read here:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/Unsupported-transceiver-option/ta-p/519194

• 5.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 11:41 AM

I'm using HPE Aruba cables and transceiver modules.  PN: J9283D and J9150D respectively.  It's all new equipment as well.  

• 6.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 11:46 AM

Might be switch firmware? what version installed on your 2930M?

• 7.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 12:23 PM

I'll upgrade the firmware and see if that helps.  I'm currently on WC.16.07.0002 which is older.  Thanks for working with me on this.  I'll be back on-site in a few days and will run the upgrade.  I'll post the results.  

• 8.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 01:22 PM

should work when installed, no config needed.

do you see the interfaces under show interface brief? they are numbered with an 1/A1 for stack member 1, or interface A1 if no stacking is enabled.

• 9.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 01:42 PM

They do not show up under the interfaces.  Reading the manual it looks like they should have amber lights during boot and for any unplugged ports but I get nothing at all ever.  It's as if nothing is plugged into the module slot at all.  They are seating properly and I have re-seated them a few times just to be sure.  One thought I had was power.  Each swich only has one of power supply in it but there is an empty slot for a redundant power supply as well.  Even though these are not POE switches I do have the stacking modules installed and working which may necessitate that I use a second PSU???  Thoughts?

• 10.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2019 01:51 PM

Maybe stupid: But last time i installed them, i really need to push them quit hard to get the last bit in, did you use enough force to completely click them in?

• 11.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 23, 2019 01:54 PM

I thought the same thing and pressed them in as far as they would go then really cranked down on the captive screws.  Nothing.  I'll keep trying.  I'm hoping the firmware update might yeild some results.  I'm also considering doing a full reset on the switches to see if it can then see the modules when it boots back up.  

• 12.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 11:08 AM
      |   view attached

This may be a silly question, but are you plugged into the Flex port? It is located to the right of the Stacking port blank (when viewed from the rear)? There is also a slot for an extra power supply as well.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    2930M Rear.pdf   264 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 25, 2019 02:59 PM

They are in the correct slots.  All three slots are actually different from each other.  We're using the stacking slot already and one if the two power supply slots. 

• 14.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 03:52 PM

The uplink module and the transceivers are listed as supported on the HPE QuickSpecs site.  The only module I have had issues with was the Smart Rate cards, they did require OS version  WC 16.04.XX.

That was the first OS version to support the JL083A uplink module

You have indicated you are already at WC 16.07, so that should not be the issue.  I have not found any Technical notices that indicate failures. There is another community article JL083A module not found in hp Aruba 2930M switch . The Solution was solved by a switch OS update.

Software is available at the Aruba Support Portal and at the HPE Support site

• 15.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Sep 25, 2019 03:55 PM

I'll try the update and post back.

Thanks,

• 16.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Oct 02, 2019 04:38 PM

Fabian called it.  They were not installed fully.  I even had the screws tightened down but pushing really hard moved them another millimeter or so which immediately lit up the ports.  Hopefully my idiocy will server to help others in the future.  Thanks everyone for your responses.  It's working perfectly now.  

• 17.  RE: 2930M - Uplink modules will not power up

Posted Jul 20, 2021 12:24 PM
    Hi !
    Same sh*t here !

I had to push it a little bit harder, and it light up in green, like you ! thanks !
    Your idiocy had serve well here !

Bye

------------------------------
    S
    ------------------------------