Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Compatibility between TAA/FIPS compliant APs and non-TAA/FIPS compliant APs

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Compatibility between TAA/FIPS compliant APs and non-TAA/FIPS compliant APs

Posted May 12, 2020 04:39 AM

Hi to all,

one of our customers needs to expand its Wifi infrastructure which is based on Aruba IAP-207 (JX954A): this model is no longer available from our provider and they suggested to buy IAP-207 (JX958A) that seems to have the same funcionality and is TAA/FIPS compliant.

My question is: as long as I don't need/care about TAA/FIPS compliancy, can I use/integrate the new APs (JX958A) with older ones(JX954A)?

Thanks

Regards

Oiam

• 2.  RE: Compatibility between TAA/FIPS compliant APs and non-TAA/FIPS compliant APs

Posted Nov 17, 2021 12:59 PM
    Hey Oilam - Did you ever obtain an answer to this....Similliar question has arised on my end and i cannot find answer....

------------------------------
    Jason Pagliaro

• 3.  RE: Compatibility between TAA/FIPS compliant APs and non-TAA/FIPS compliant APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2021 08:06 AM
    If you run the APs on a controller, it will just work.

If you want to build an Instant cluster, make sure that all of the APs are installed with the same firmware. So you might need to do a manual firmware installation with the non-FIPS firmware on the APs that are FIPS/TAA (or on the other ones if you prefer to run in FIPS mode). Please verify this with your equipment provider and/or Aruba Support or make sure that you can return the APs if it doesn't work.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Compatibility between TAA/FIPS compliant APs and non-TAA/FIPS compliant APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2022 08:06 AM
    There are no restrictions on mixing TAA and non-TAA hardware, there are also no requirements to run FIPS software on TAA hardware, normal AOS software should work fine.  Also just to clarify, TAA and FIPS are not linked in any way even though they are typically deployed in the same environments, TAA is related sourcing/assembly of the hardware, FIPS is a compliant version of the software.  Note however that you should not mix FIPS and non-FIPS software in the same environment, for instance having different controllers or conductors running different types (FIPS AOS, vs standard AOS).  Mixing TAA and non-TAA hardware should be fine, you will just be paying more for the TAA hardware than you would for standard hardware.

Mitchell Hurd