Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

Posted May 28, 2020 08:10 AM

Hi,

I meet problem ading a IAP-207  model jx954A to a existent cluster working fine formed with older IAP-207 model JY084A and IAP-205 model JX015A.

I m asking me if  theses model are compatible because new IAP doesn't appear on the virtual Controller but i can ping it,

- vlan management is the same on ports on IAP's cluster and new IAP

- I have verified the frame of protocol IAP  are wandering good

- Firmware is 6.5.4.3 on the cluster and on the new IAP,

-When ading new IAP the pre-configuration was : Hostname, Static IP/ mask/ Gateway and Vlan uplink.

But i wonder about this model of IAP  JY084A and it dosen't appear in the datasheet of 207:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP207Series.pdf

The only link talking about is the end of life pdf:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/Aruba-Hardware-End-of-Sale-List.pdf

so it does exist but i 'm not sure about the capabilities?

Did the problem come frome compatibility ?

Thanks for help

• 2.  RE: Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2020 10:44 AM

I haven't been able to verify, but I believe the part numbers for your older gear are the HP OEM part numbers prior to the Aruba acquisition. These APs ran a limited version of Instant firmware, and were not interoperable with traditional Instant APs. In this case, the two different firmware branches are not able to cluster together due to mixed feature support. 

• 3.  RE: Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2020 05:22 AM

From your list, you can see the JY084A is an 'OAW-IAP207 (RW) Instant 2x2:2 11ac AP'. This is an Alcatel IAP-207, which looks similar but is labeled with Alcatel (and possibly a purple logo) and it is running different firmware which can't be clustered with Aruba IAPs.

In order to form a cluster with IAPs:

- All APs must run the same firmware version

- All APs must be of the same regulatory model (-US/-RW/-JP/etc)

- All APs must be of the same brand (Aruba / Alcatel / Dell)

• 4.  RE: Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

Posted Jul 28, 2021 08:34 AM
    Hi Herman! Using your reply, is it possible to create to separate clusters using two brands (Aruba - Alcatel) and the same VLAN? One customer is telling us they  have two clusters and after a blackout when they try to form Alcatel cluster,  two of six APs don´t join it.  If they switch off aruba cluster these two APs rejoin Alcatel cluster but when they switch on aruba  again, same problem. Any idea? If possible to have two clusters in the same vlan?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    Jorge

------------------------------
    Jorge Ferreiro

• 5.  RE: Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2021 10:45 AM
    I don't know, and don't have those APs to test with. Having two clusters in two separate VLANs would work.

Recently in another post, I learned that you can apparently just upload the Aruba firmware to OEM IAPs, and then they will be able to join in one cluster. Not supported, and no guarantees, but if you can risk breaking/losing the APs it may be an option to test if you have access to the Aruba IAP firmware.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Problem adding IAP-207 to cluster of mixed IAP-205 IAP-207

Posted Jul 30, 2021 06:47 AM
    Hi Jorge,

I agree with Herman, it would be best if you can separate the AP management vlans for the different brands, because the Instant protocol is pretty much based on broadcast traffic, and those strange issues you saw are probably related to that.

You can still assign the same vlan to users on the 2 IAP clusters, even if the management network is different.

Miguel Goncalves