Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Fast download, slow upload

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 03, 2020 09:38 AM

Hi there,

Currently testing a 505 AP but facing an issue.

When I speedtest my devices I get very fast 500mbps download but only 50mbps upload. The problem is not the link. If I connect the same device to my previous (Cisco) infrastructure I get 500mbps for both upload and download.

This is a controller based install.

Any idea what can be the problem here?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 03, 2020 10:32 AM

Hi,

• Are you testing from the same wireless vlan for both Aruba and Cisco setups?
    • Did you check any interface errors on the ports of the controller or APs?
    • Do you have any shaping configured?
    • Did you try to test to an internal IPerf server connected to the wired network instead of Speedtest (use the -R option to test in the reverse direction as well)

• 3.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 03, 2020 11:12 AM

Hi Ayman,

Same client VLAN, yes. And both Cisco and Aruba controllers are connected to the same switch.

No errors on ports and no shaping.

iPerf shows the same behavior.

Regards

• 4.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 05, 2020 01:18 PM

Hi,

This seems to be a problem with HE / 802.11ax.

As soon as I disable High Efficiency / 802.11ax, upload and download become fast.

Anyone else having problems?

Regards.

• 5.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 10, 2020 07:06 AM

Is anyone running 802.11ax with 5xx series and HE enabled without issues?

• 6.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 11, 2020 06:58 AM

Hi,

Are you noticing the same behavior on different types of clients ( windows, mobile phones) etc  ?

In case of windows, can you please update to latest driver and test it out.

• 7.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 11, 2020 07:19 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately iPhone 11 are my only 802.11ax clients.

• 8.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 11, 2020 07:41 AM

Probably not the case, but did you create any BW Contracts to restrict up/down bandwidth?

• 9.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted Aug 11, 2020 07:48 AM

No.
    Also, that would be in place with both HE enabled and HE disabled.

And in this case, HE disabled "fixes" the issue.

• 10.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi all,

We're seeing a similar issue. We have a client with a homebuilt PC (a whole other headache) on our campus deployment. Netgear A7000 wifi adapter on a Windows 10 devices. Super fast downloads, incredibly slow uploads on eduroam with a NAT IP. I ended up sending a silent, non-NAT SSID out there, HE enabled, and the client reported 100 down and up, but only on 2.4. The client is 5 capable, so I tried removing the 2.4 radio from the AP Group and the client did connect to 5, but the speeds were back to fast down, slow up. I put the 2.4 back on, and sure enough the client ended up reconnecting with steadier speeds.

Our setup is 2 MMs, 6 MDs, running 8.6.0.14 on 515 APs. Is this simply just a case of a wonky client adapter? Is there anything people can recommend we try to figure out the issue?

-Brian

------------------------------
    Brian Simpson

• 11.  RE: Fast download, slow upload

Posted 11 days ago
    We facing the same issue with RAP's. We used to have about 400/400Mbps wired and wireless (80MHz channel) but now we have problem and got about 200/20Mbps and packets drops. I can't figure out what caused this, i have tried older firmware and other MC both 7220 cluster and VMC but with no success.

Running 8.8.0.2, before 8.7.1.5 on two 7220 in a cluster (for our campus-AP) and moved RAP's to a VMC-50.

Edit: We running 500-series AP, 503H, 505H, 505, 515 and 535 and problem is not related to specific model what i can see so far.

Emil Andersson