Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

Posted Aug 27, 2013 05:34 AM

Dear concerned,

I want to configure the Traffic shapping feature. I am unable to understand the default access feature as mentioned in the snapshot.

According to the definition, Default access " Client performance is dependent on MAC contention resolution. What does it mean ?

Which is most suitable default or fair ?

Untitled.jpg

• 2.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2013 07:17 AM

Traffic Shaping is an advanced topic and not many people modify that parameter.  Please see the article here:  https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-1607

• 3.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

Posted Aug 27, 2013 07:26 AM

i already studied it...

But unable to understand the meaning of mac contention resolution. Although i have set the fair access.

But need to know the which one is suitable i.e default access or fair ?

• 4.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2013 07:28 AM

@Ruhail Maqsood wrote:

i already studied it...

But unable to understand the meaning of mac contention resolution. Although i have set the fair access.

But need to know the which one is suitable i.e default access or fair ?

The default is fair access.  Do not change it.

• 5.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

Posted Aug 27, 2013 07:47 AM

Mac contention resolution.... Still confused from last 3days.... unable to understand...

Higly oblige if you clarify me..

• 6.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2013 11:27 AM

Then, do not use it....  Very few people configure this feature.

• 7.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

Posted Jan 28, 2023 01:34 AM
    In my understanding:
    Default access - There is no priority for each band. Trafic shaping is disabled. It means that first comes first goes. 
    Fair access - It means that powerful or newer devices can't have all traffic. Everybody have equal airtime. It is like everybody have same size spoon to eat.  It is recommended to use high capacity area. 
    Preferred access - It means powerful or newer devices can have advantage on air. who has a bigger spoon, they can eat more here :) It is recommended to used in area which most of the devices are newer model and older device traffic is not important.

• 8.  RE: Kindly clarify me the Default access mean !!! HELP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2023 05:43 PM
    Hi @Ruhail Maqsood,

I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of the CWNA Study Guide (specifically the one authored by by David D. Coleman and David A. Westcott). The best way to understand MAC contention resolution is to read chapter 8 of this book on 802.11 Medium Access.

​​CSMA/CA at wikipedia is a good read also.

Wi-Fi clients and Access Points "self organise" to reduce collisions (when two or more stations are transmitting at the same time) by notifying of the likely time (duration) they will be utilising the channel during a transmission. During each contention window (where stations figure out who is transmitting next) various mechanisms and timers take place to reduce the likelihood than any two stations transmissions collide. Random backoff timer, inter-frame spacing as well as the NAV timer are all used to determine the time a station must wait before attempting to transmit.

There is a lot to it but it is fascinating. I recommend the time spent learning and reading up on CSMA/CA and 802.11 Medium Access.