Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP with duplicate IP address

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  AP with duplicate IP address

Posted Nov 27, 2014 10:52 AM

Absolutely beginner questions: sorry!

I ineherited a network with a 3200xm controller and 24 AP. One of these has the led 11b/g/n and the led 11 a/n switched off.  With the web ui of the controller I found that such AP has the same IP address of a recently installed one. Could be the duplicate ip address the cause of the former AP failure. 

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2014 01:52 AM

Hi Gi0

yes, duplicate IP will cause issues. Presumably these APs (or at least one of them) has a static IP set. Depending you want to change to DHCP or stay with static IP, you need to get a console cable (9600,8,n,1) and connect to the AP serial port.

power on the AP, interrupt the boot sequence, and enter the command "printenv". This will dump all the saved setup on the AP, you will see amongst other things the IP/netmask/default gateway if they are configured.

If you have a static IP you can change it like so:

setenv ipaddr 1.2.3.4

save

boot

or if you want to revert to DHCP, you need to do a blank setenv for each item relating to the IP address, i.e. netmask, ipaddr, gatewayip.

setenv netmask

setenv ipaddr

setenv gatwewayip

save

boot

you can check that dhcp is working by entering "dhcp" command at the same prompt.

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address

Posted Nov 28, 2014 10:20 AM

Thank you -jeff

All APs have static IP address and I tried to reassign a new IP  using the webui and  the provisioning page in   Configuration/AP installation but without success!

Tomorrow I'm going to follow your instructions, however, I don't understand why in provisioning page the field IP address is editable but the new value is not accepted after apply&reboot click.

One more question: I'm not sure to have AC adapter, actually they are POE powered. May I use a console cable even if POE powered?

warm regards

• 4.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address

Posted Dec 01, 2014 10:40 AM

Hi,

As jeff explained, we can assign a static IP through 'apboot' mode and it can be edited through GUI while you are reprovisioning the AP.

You can change the IP address from GUI ( static IP to an AP) without any issue but, you have to provide gateway IP,DNS IP and domain name along with IP .

Comming to consoling the AP when it is on POE. you can happily console when the AP is on POE, both are not linked. to console any AP it needs power supply, doen't matter whether powered through adaptor or POE.

As a good practice allow your APs to get an IP from DHCP :)

Hope you got your answer.

Cheers,

Venu

• 5.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address

Posted Dec 04, 2014 04:44 AM

Everything was fine! Thank you a lot!

• 6.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address

Posted Nov 12, 2020 07:41 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Gio, I have an existing network and suddenly we have power interruption and after the restart of controller and access point some of the access point was down, and as of checking in the controller I have a duplicate IP and the one with the same IP was DOWN and the other is UP. I tried to reboot the devices again but still, the problem persists. Can you help me please on the problem, maybe you encounter the same problem? Thank you

------------------------------
    Archie Balatucan

• 7.  RE: AP with duplicate IP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2020 05:19 AM
    Try to find out why these APs have conflicting IP addresses. That can be through static IP assignment (see in the threat above), or it can be that you have multiple DHCP servers that think they are authoritative and issue the same IP to different devices. IP assignment is recommended to be through DHCP. If you have multiple devices acting as DHCP server on the same subnet, make sure they issue IP from non-overlapping scopes.

If you are in this situation, you can re-provision the APs that are 'up' to DHCP (or another non-conflicting static IP) from the controller, and then the other AP with the same IP may become available again to manage that as well.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.