Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon

Posted Jun 08, 2021 05:02 AM
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering which data an iPhone is taking into account for deciding wheather the wifi status icon is showing 3, 2 or 1 bar?
    If it is only the signal strenght, what are the ranges measured in dbm?
    I was googling around but couldn't find any valuable information regarding this. This information would be helpful to understand users complaining about "I have only 1 wifi bar shown on my iphone".

Thanks for your feedback :)

• 2.  RE: Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2021 06:18 AM
    Not sure about the iPhone, but the industry standard is to use RSSI, which in itself is a somewhat fussy and unreliable metric. What I found was 3 bars = GOOD, 2 = OK, 1 = Poor. If users are complaining about the number of bars, it's most likely they are not close enough to the AP or connected to a distant AP. Even if you compare between client devices. Different type of devices, but even within the same brand and type like iPhone 11, at the same location, you should not be surprised to see +- 10 dBm of received signal strength. I think someone in the WLAN Pro community once did some testing on comparing multiple identical devices and across devices. Can't find the link at the moment.

Would love to hear if someone has more experience, or saved that link of client device comparison somewhere.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 10, 2021 06:30 AM
    Is this what your talking about. Great community collaboration on dB offsets for popular devices: https://rssicompared.com/offsets/ekahau

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 4.  RE: Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2021 07:03 AM
    Dustin, that looks like the site I remembered. I see names known for the WLAN Pro community. Thanks for posting.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Meaning of iPhone Wifi status icon

Posted Jun 16, 2021 02:41 AM
    Thanks guys, that helps already a lot.