Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using old 7005 just for routing

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Using old 7005 just for routing

Posted Sep 17, 2021 02:24 PM
    Hello
    We got a client that has old 103H Aps with a 7005 and cannot buy more because they are not for sale.   We recommended them  that they should have one technology around all the house and that they should not mix them becuase of the roaming and troubleshooting issues this would cause. 
    They are making an evaluation of buying a new solution, and we propose instant on because its just a house.   
    They also got a old S1500 but the problem with that switch is that it will go out of support this year.  
    I though the fallowing:

Re-use the 7005 just as a router /Nat/DHCP server (This controller just got AP license)
    Offer the client a new Instant On Switch
    Offer the client Instant On APs

My question would be: there wont be any issues between the instant ON and the 7005? i bealive they wont, it might be a problem if they were  Unified Aps but in this case they are not.
    I never used instant on before so if you got any other idea it would be great.
    Another question would, instant On is like the normal instant solution that if the instant ap that is running the managment goes down another one takes the role of it, so the solution never goes down until all the aps dies.

• 2.  RE: Using old 7005 just for routing

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 19, 2021 04:57 AM
    Hi,

No issue with instant (ON) and 7005

------------------------------
    PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCL: Powershell Module to use Aruba Central

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 3.  RE: Using old 7005 just for routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2021 07:27 AM
    If you have the NAT/DHCP/routing config already on the 7005, I would not see an issue with that approach.

InstantON is using cloud management, as far as I know, and there is no AP running the management to my understanding. The result is the same, as long as at least one AP is operational, the wireless service is available in the wireless range of that/those AP(s).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Using old 7005 just for routing

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 20, 2021 04:32 PM
    All Aruba InstantON operate as standalone AP that are central managed through a cloud portal. Aruba InstantON is suitable for SOHO deployments where Aruba Instant is for enterprise deployments, both are separate product lines. If you don't need enterprise features and like a simplified cloudbased user interface with less configuration option Aruba InstantON is a great product for a very good price point.

When use the 7005 as DHCP servers its recommended to have max. 512 leases where its limited to max. 1024, link.

Why don't use a small firewall (like a Fortigate 40/60F) so you have a enterprise firewall with advanced IDP/IPS, Web/App filtering options for the price of a medium notebook.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own