Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

Posted Oct 05, 2021 10:56 AM

We are monitoring our Aruba infra using SNMP polling only instead of traps. Below are the issues we are now facing with Aruba OS 8-

1. When access point goes down, there are two alerts generated for single event. Because AP is connected onto both the WLC (Primary/Secondary).
    2. When access point moves from one wlc to other wlc within the cluster, or one tunnel goes down for reason, an alert is received for AP down for the WLC where AP was connected before movement.
    Because of this we are getting a lot of false alert. 

I would like to know what is the workaround of this.

------------------------------
    Suman Sinha

• 2.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 12:29 PM
    When an AP discovers a cluster, it is assigned a WLC.  That WLC should not really change when things are up and running.  If an AP loses connection to an WLC or a tunnel goes down after that, it is something to troubleshoot.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 02:56 PM
    To offer assistance, one thing you could probably do, if you have a whats up gold type setup is ping the access points, since the ip addresses would only change based on your dhcp lease times/reservations.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

Posted Oct 06, 2021 12:23 AM
    Our ITSM system is integrated with HPE NNMi monitoring tool. So when we get duplicate alert or false alert from Aruba in HPE NNMi there is a ticket that gets generated. 
    We want to avoid this scenario. 

MM tracks all the AP and their status. When we execute #show ap database long   we get detailed AP information stored in MM for entire infra.
    Is  there a way we can poll this MM AP database via SNMP and get the same data ?

Suman Sinha

• 5.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 09:38 AM
    I am not familiar with that NMS.  There are two ways to monitor: using SNMP Gets and SNMP traps.  The alerts you are seeing are sent via traps.  You can import the SNMP MiBs into your system and use SNMP gets where you can see the # of APs as well as their status using the Aruba Mibs here:  https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads/software/RmlsZTpiNWZmMzZhOC0yNTZjLTExZWMtYWNhZi1iNzNiZDkyZWZiNjM%3D​

• 6.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 10:04 AM
    Correction:

Did you try accepting  SNMP traps only from the MM?  That will also tell you when an AP is up and down but in a centralized fashion:

(ArubaMM-VA) [mynode] #show snmp trap-queue 

2021-10-06 08:59:27 Access point f0:5b:39:c9:fd:e8 (LMS 192.168.1.7) status 2​

• 7.  RE: AOS8 deployment - AP monitor via SNMP poll.

Posted Oct 06, 2021 10:12 AM
    This is something we are not doing at the moment. Will give this a shot.

Suman Sinha