Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New Setup w/ Packet Loss, High Utilization and Retries.

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  New Setup w/ Packet Loss, High Utilization and Retries.

Posted Mar 29, 2021 10:56 AM
    Hello Everyone!

I recently setup an Aruba Network with 10 Access Points for about 120 Users. It's been about 2 weeks since the setup and the configurations were in place and my users have complained about high lag, buffering, and extreme packet loss. 

Over this past week, I've monitored the utilizations and I've tried changing some settings that used to work on previous networks I managed. Here's a image of the utilization during peak times. 
    The first issue I see is definitely the amount of utilization on the 2.4 GHz channel compared to the 5 GHz. I've tried Forcing 5 Ghz through band-steering mode to no avail. Could be a power issue, if anyone has any suggestions to remediate this issue.

Another thing I also noticed during this week was the high amount of retries devices are experiencing. 
    The retry concept is something new that I haven't seen in other networks. A correlation I found with this is that when the retries are 50% above the out rate, the user starts to experience heavy lag/buffering and when the retries are at 100% of the out (covering the entire graph) then the user disconnects or gets kicked off the AP. 

I've searched the forums for solutions and I've tried some of the fixes users have recommended, but none of them have had a significant impact on the network. I'm anyone has any suggestions to help fix this issue and get the network where it should be. 

If you need any configurations, screenshots, or logs, please let me know.

Thank You!

------------------------------
    Fardeen Bhimani

• 2.  RE: New Setup w/ Packet Loss, High Utilization and Retries.

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 29, 2021 11:10 AM
    Looks like all of the 2.4 radios are on channel 11. Do you only have channel 11 set as an option in your RF/ARM profiles? Are they hard set to 11? If so why?

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: New Setup w/ Packet Loss, High Utilization and Retries.

Posted Mar 29, 2021 06:09 PM
    Sorry, this is a duplicate of this one: https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=7&MessageKey=52b81cec-1b4e-46a5-a563-26aa67b4d0a5&CommunityKey=867d34a4-1e6a-4b9a-9349-df7b4c84b3cb&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3d867d34a4-1e6a-4b9a-9349-df7b4c84b3cb%26tab%3ddigestviewer

Thank you.

Fardeen Bhimani