Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 12, 2021 12:29 PM
      |   view attached
    After upgrading a 7005 MC it did not restart due to missing 'Ancillary Files' resulting in it to hang at a 'mdir' prompt. After several upgrade attempts the situation remained. In a fit of desperation I formatted the flash memory so to start from scratch. After that the result was the same but this time there were different files missing but it still hangs at the 'mdir' prompt. I have added the startup log for review.

I have searched the net for any reference of this happening and it is documented but the remedy is to just reload the image. That hasn't worked for me. I guess it possible the controller is hosed but I am still hopefull someone can chime in with a solution.

------------------------------
    cowboysteve1952

Attachment(s)

txt
    startup.txt   6 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2021 12:35 PM
    Please open a technical support case so that they can take a look.  I am not convinced the "load the second partition with the same image" trick will work for this.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2021 05:23 AM
    +1 on reaching out to TAC. If you don't want to do that (or can't do that), you may try to run the command format 0:2 from the cpboot prompt. That may resolve the issue. If you can open a TAC case, I would recommend doing that first as you may brick your controller further.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 15, 2021 08:00 PM
    As an update to my original post I report that I have made some progress but not 100% there yet. I was able to finally get the controller upgraded to AOS version 8.8.0.2_81788. Controller came up to the initial config screen and I was able to put in all the required information. Controller comes up to a user prompt where I can put in my user name and password. Now, here is what is missing. I can ping the controller IP but cannot connect to it vial a web browser. I get no response. So, it has connectivity on my network but apparently there are still some files missing. I ran the following commands:

web-server profile
    web-https-port-443

This allowed me to ping the controller IP.

Also ran this command
    Process restart httpd

Still can't get to it via HTTP. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? 

Thanks!

Steve Bunnell

• 5.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 15, 2021 08:03 PM
      |   view attached
    See attached upload. Still shows missing ancillary files.

Steve Bunnell

Attachment(s)

txt
    7005.txt   324 B 1 version

• 6.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2021 08:32 PM
    Is your uplink port trusted?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 15, 2021 09:23 PM
    Yes, the port is trusted.

Steve Bunnell

• 8.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 15, 2021 09:24 PM
    I doubt this makes any difference but want to mention this controller is being powered via POE and not an AC adapter.

Steve Bunnell

• 9.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2021 11:25 PM
    PM Me your email address.  I might have a solution for you.

• 10.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.

Posted Nov 16, 2021 06:17 PM

• 11.  RE: Bricked 7005 MC after OS upgrade.
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 17, 2021 12:54 PM
    Colin:

The solution that you sent to me was successful. The controller is now back to life and can be reached via the gui. I have been given the opportunity to work with AOS10 on Central and want to use this controller for that lab. I assume I can upgrade now hopefully without any other issues. I guess if it bricks again it is going in the trash. Thanks again for your persistence in helping me get up and running again.

Steve1952