Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Latest AOS Versions, which one?

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Latest AOS Versions, which one?

Posted Apr 14, 2021 02:58 AM
    I see there has been a few different versions the last few days but they all say standard release.

Can someone explain the differences so I know which upgrade revisions I should go for?

(I run AP-515, few AP-303H and AP-305 on 7220 controllers with MM, currently on 8.7.1.2)

thank you

------------------------------
    vardas

• 2.  RE: Latest AOS Versions, which one?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 05:01 AM
    HI Vardas,

Aruba marked versions as "conservative" or "standard" releases. The conservative releases are the most stable.

Major release like 8.5.x, 8.6.x, 8.7.x, 8.8.x add new hardware support and features but have to be general around in public and have a minimum rate of known issues, support tickets, etc. before it comes a conservative release.

The last conservative release is 8.5.12 at the moment and is what i advise until you need some newer features or hardware support.

Your access points and controller and controllers are supported in 8.5.x. The AP-515 is limited supported in 8.5.x (some Wi-Fi6 features are missing), but because you have a mixed environment is should be beter to turn of the HE SSID for a while until there is beter client support and run all AP's on the same WiFi standard.

The conservative release 8.5.12 will be end-of-support by end of 2021, and i believe there would be come a new conservative release available in the next months. 

Iám curious if some other great members share this vision with me, please let me known!​​

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: Latest AOS Versions, which one?

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 08:10 AM
    As stated we have found it best to use the Conservative Release whenever possible.

Sometimes you can work with your Aruba account team if you need unsupported hardware. We currently have some temporary controllers running  a newer version just for areas with newer APs until they get supported in the Conservative Release, for instance.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer