Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM/MD Hierarchy : How to display AP-Groups ?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  MM/MD Hierarchy : How to display AP-Groups ?

Posted Jan 13, 2022 10:34 AM

Hi everyone !

I configured a cluster with 2xMM and 4xMD devices.
    I defined specific hierarchy as below :
    /mm
    /md
    /md/group1/
    /md/group1/site1
    /md/group1/site2
    /controller1
    /controller2
    /controller3
    /controller4

I defined some AP-groups under /md/group1/ hierarchy.
    Today, I need to display AP-groups list and configuration on CLI interface but, unfortunately, I don't found any command able to do this action !

If I'm under /md/group1/ hierarchy I've got this issue :
    (MM01) *[group1] #show ap-group CAMPUS1
    The commands for applications run on MM need to be executed on /mm tree.
    The commands for applications run on individual devices need to be executed on the device node in 'mdconnect' mode.

However, If I execute this command on /mm tree
    (MM01) *[mm] #show ap-group CAMPUS1
    AP group "CAMPUS1" undefined.

On GUI interface, there is not any problem to display AP-Group by clicking on correct hierarchy level.

My question is the following : How can I display AP-Group configuration from MM CLI interface ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

------------------------------
    Jules Bvt

• 2.  RE: MM/MD Hierarchy : How to display AP-Groups ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 01:07 PM
    You could use the "show configuration effective | b ap-group" or "show configuration effective | b <name of ap group>" the the level you want to see the config at. the effective option shows config at that specific level. A lot of your specific commands would need to be run at the controller level "mdconnect" or over ssh to the controller its self.

If you want the specific output that your running the command for above, I would suggest running it at the controller level "mdconnect". That kind of command is not available at the MM level, similar to showing BSSIDs, etc...

Also, another cool note for looking at config in the hierarchy, if you run the "show configuration effective detail" command, you can see where the config is inherited from as well.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: MM/MD Hierarchy : How to display AP-Groups ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2022 06:48 AM
    This is not going to add much, but it could save time:  Containers in an ArubaOS 8 hierarchy are designed for multinational  or multicampus corporations that have a unified base configuration globally but want to create exceptions to that configuration at the country level.  In the vast majority of single-country situations configurations should use ap-groups in a single folder, rather than folders to provide different configurations.  Keeping different configurations in different folders and navigating exceptions will make administration and troubleshooting more difficult.  Folders were meant to separate administrative domains and to create country-level exceptions for a global configuration.  There is also a limit for folder depth, so you certainly don't want to run into that.   There is definitely a value to separating campuses by folder, for example, but again, it may or may not complicate things if you're not adept at navigating and reconciling exceptions to configurations that folder levels.   If you have different campuses, it is not super hard to define things like an NTP server at the controller level  for proper control.

Offhand tips:
    - create a folder under MD and put your configuration there
    - do not put any configuration in the MD folder, because you will not be able to undo it.  You will also not be able to create a drastically different configuration that differs from any configuration in the MD folder, if you put configuration in the MD folder.
    - use ap-groups for everything in the folder under MD and you should be fine.  A single folder is the secret to happiness.   Did you just acquire another company?  Create a new folder under MD and put an entirely new configuration there.
    -  controllers create their own "folder"  and that is essential for controller specific things like IP addresses, port configuration, host name, etc.   That will be useful later if you ever wanted to migrate controller specific configuration to another device for example.

I hope this was not too complicated or wordy.   There are tons of users that require help cleaning up their configuration and  the short answer is many times merging  configuration into a single folder simply because everything is all over the place and they can't figure out where everything is.   Putting everything in a single folder and just simply doing everything based on AP groups is the answer.   That is my opinion (and probably only my opinion).

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.