Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MC-VA-250 HA

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  MC-VA-250 HA

Posted Mar 26, 2021 08:57 AM
    Hello all,

If I want to connect 170 AP's to a Virtual Mobility Controller I need a MC-VA-250 and 170 x LIC-K12-1 (education customer). If I want HA do I need to buy 2 x MC-VA-250. 

They already have a Mobillity Conductor.

------------------------------
    Jason

• 2.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

Posted Mar 26, 2021 03:22 PM
    Hello,

All of the licenses  Mobility Master and APs are shared between them. So in this case As long as you have your Mobility Master then you can deploy as many Mobility Controllers as you want no need to purchase extra licenses. 

That is my understanding since I am new to the whole Aruba platform.

• 3.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 26, 2021 06:52 PM
    Hi Jason,

That's correct. Be sure you add the MC-VA-250 on the Mobilty Master and not at the VMC itself.

• Mobility Master MM-VA-xxx is count as controllers+accesspoints you will need at least 172 MM licenties (170AP+2VMC).
    • Virtual Mobility Controller MC-VA-xxx is count per access points managed by the VMC's, one VMC-VA-250 can be pooled from the Mobility Master license server. 
    • LIC-K12-1 is count per access point and comes as bundle include the AP-LIC, AP-PEF,AP-RFP license.

For HA you need to install two VMC controllers, note the Mobility Master cannot terminate access points.

Maybe you could consider a hardware controller like the MC-7205 to not pull all the network resources for 170 access points through your VMware environment.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 4.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

Posted Mar 29, 2021 04:34 AM
    Hello all,

Just to be 100% clear I need 2 x MC-VA-250 mobility controllers to support up to 250 APs in HA?

Jason

Jason

• 5.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 29, 2021 04:45 AM
    Hi Jason,

No! 1x MC-VA-250 is enough because the licenses count are pooled/shared if installed on the Aruba Mobility Master.

The term HA is a little prehistorical. In a environment with a Mobility Master we can create a CLUSTER, which means both controllers works active-active and load-balance as well users and access points between both VMC controllers.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 6.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

Posted Apr 25, 2022 04:57 PM
    Hi Marcel,

If I do NOT have Mobility Conductor, then can I have a Conductor & Backup VMC (2 VMCs)? In this case, how should be licensed? in the example, should I have two MC-VA-xx licenses, one for each VMC? Is it supported? 

Enrique

Enrique Gonzalez

• 7.  RE: MC-VA-250 HA

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 25, 2022 05:33 PM
    The mobility conductor is not required but without this you will miss features like clustering, live-upgrades, airmatch, etc. The classic master-local setup is supported without mobility conductor.

For licence MC-VA-250 for example can used for 2xvmc controllers + 248xaccesspoints.

AFAIK you need one MC-VA-xxx licence bundle that can shared with the second controller when you sync the license server between both nodes.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own