Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

Posted Jul 13, 2021 08:04 PM
    I will be moving a pair of 7210s to a new site (Will also be a new IP Subnet). Is there a list of items I need to have done before I move the Mobility Controllers?

Provision APs to new Cluster IP Address?

Thank you

------------------------------
    Mitchell Murphy l

• 2.  RE: Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 02:02 AM
    There is no checklist.  You also didn't say how many controllers are in the cluster, how long do you have to migrate controllers and what method you are using for AP discovery.  All of these factors will play a part.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

Posted Jul 14, 2021 09:55 AM
    There is two controllers in the cluster. And I will have a day to do the move.

The AP discovery is Static.

Thank you

Mitchell Murphy l

• 4.  RE: Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 10:47 AM
    How many APs?  You should change all of the AP discovery to dynamic (dns, dhcp option, etc) and test it so that you have the maximum amount of flexibility.  If APs cannot find a controller, you will have to go up in the ceiling to reset them; so in production, few people opt for static.  In a migration, dynamic discovery is mandatory and makes a migration much easier.  If you are moving a cluster to another location and the AP does not find either controller in the cluster (the nodelist), it will fall back to dynamic, allowing APs to keep trying until you have the new controllers in place.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Moving Mobility Controllers to New Site/IP Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 10:53 AM
    Some tips:

When you are ready to move:
    - Remove both controllers from the cluster
    - Do a write erase all on both controllers and shut them down.  Do not remove the controller entries from the MM.  Doing a write erase and shutting the controllers down will allow you to boot them up at the new location, run through the provisioning script (which will allow you to input the new ip address, subnet mask, default gateway) and join it back to the MM.
    - After you join the controllers back, there will probably be controller-specific things that you will need to fix on the MM like VLANs/ports, etc.  If the controller can simply find the MM using the new ip address, you should be fine doing that.

I would open a technical support case and have TAC approve your migration plan so that any other hidden gotchas that were not discussed in this thread can be resolved in a timely fashion.