Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-215 not coming back up after power cycle?

• 1.  IAP-215 not coming back up after power cycle?

Posted 20 days ago

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with an IAP-215 in Instant mode. I'd hoped it was just faulty or something, but I've just replicated it with a second AP, and exactly the same thing happens.

When I first reset the AP, everything is fine - I can get to the Web UI and do the initial setup, and create a network. All appears to be working fine. However, when I reboot the AP, the network never reappears. I can see from the serial output that as soon as the AP is elected master, it starts printing "turn off mobility" once per second. I can log in (restricted mode) and view the debug log, which shows numerous instances of the following:

<341004> <WARN> |AP aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff@172.16.254.3 cli| AP not allowed, turn off master election

The config that appears when I type "sh run" is also not my configuration, but a seemingly blank one.

If I factory reset and re-setup the AP, it happily begins working again... until it's next rebooted.

The APs are running Instant 8.6.0.7. Happy to provide any debug logs, etc. that people think could be helpful.

------------------------------
    - Felix

• 2.  RE: IAP-215 not coming back up after power cycle?

Posted 20 days ago
    It sounds like there is another IAP on the network that is taking over.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 3.  RE: IAP-215 not coming back up after power cycle?

Posted 20 days ago
    Do you have a cluster running already? It seems to me that you disabled the auto-join in your running cluster under Configuration - System - Advanced:

The message 'turn off mobility' scrolling over the console can also point to an attempt to run Instant firmware on a campus AP model. Please check if the APs are indeed Instant models (IAP-215-US / IAP-215-RW on the sticker on the back of the AP).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: IAP-215 not coming back up after power cycle?

Posted 19 days ago
    I swear I double-checked this, but I somehow made a mistake when ordering these APs, and they are indeed AP-215s - not IAPs at all!

When I was researching this, I even found evidence of this exact issue affecting other people who attempted to "convert" their APs to IAPs, but I didn't think to double-check my own hardware.

I must have been confused by the fact that both part numbers start with APIN (which my brain read as Instant). Now I feel like a right fool.

Thanks for all your help - I'll go obtain the correct hardware this time and give it another go.

Felix Friedlander