Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple Groups

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Multiple Groups

Posted Oct 04, 2021 01:37 PM
    Using 8.7.1.4.

My understanding is that group hierarchies are not possible. Given that, can a controller be a member of more than one group? Or, does one need to create many permutations of groups?

As an example, you have a plant floor and an office area. You want to to broadcast SSIDs ACME.Corp in both, ACME.prod in the plant, and ACME.guest in the office.

No problem, you create a Plant group and an Office group. You assign your WLANs and any needed custom profiles and everything is bliss.

But wait - you would like to create an AP profile to enable IPM on a few 530 series. Do you now split your AP groups into Plant-530, Plant-Other, Office-530, Office-Other?

I think I know the answer already, but wanted to double check before I end up with a couple of dozen groups with names like Office-534-poe.at-3db-potted.fern.

------------------------------
    John Starke

• 2.  RE: Multiple Groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2021 01:46 PM

My understanding is that group hierarchies are not possible. Given that, can a controller be a member of more than one group? Or, does one need to create many permutations of groups?

Controllers cannot be parts of ap-groups, but access points can.  You create ap-groups, assign virtual aps (wireless networks) and IPM configuration, and then add access points to those groups https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.7.1_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/access-points/assg-ap-apgr.htm

As an example, you have a plant floor and an office area. You want to to broadcast SSIDs ACME.Corp in both, ACME.prod in the plant, and ACME.guest in the office.

No problem, you create a Plant group and an Office group. You assign your WLANs and any needed custom profiles and everything is bliss.

But wait - you would like to create an AP profile to enable IPM on a few 530 series. Do you now split your AP groups into Plant-530, Plant-Other, Office-530, Office-Other?

Yes.  Clone your plant group or office group and then add a modified AP system profile to your new ap-groups for IPM.

I think I know the answer already, but wanted to double check before I end up with a couple of dozen groups with names like Office-534-poe.at-3db-potted.fern.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Multiple Groups

Posted Oct 04, 2021 02:52 PM
    Given that, can a controller be a member of more than one group? Or, does one need to create many permutations of groups?

Controllers cannot be parts of ap-groups, but access points can.  You create ap-groups, assign virtual aps (wireless networks) and IPM configuration, and then add access points to those groups

Sorry, it was late. I meant AP, not controller.

John Starke