Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridge with 3rd party APs

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 22, 2021 03:55 PM
    Hello guys i have the fallowing scenerio 

The client has a wireless solution with X vendor around a floor in  a building
    In that floor they have  this X vendor solution and the APs are on the ceiling.
    This APs does not serve clients 
    This APs does Wireless bridges with a 3rd party APs around the floor and that 3rd party APs has a network cable which connect machines they need on the floor.

So in summary its like this  for example 
    10 X vendor APs 
    and like 20 3rd party AP( Y vendor) doing bridges to those 10 APs(X vendor)

For now they just want to replace the X vendor APs to Aruba instant APs, they want to leave those 3rd party aps.  They are not planning to change them.

It is possible to do the bridge from the aruba instant APS to these 3rd party aps without issues?   it seems they had issues with other brands and with X Vendor they are working fine but they want to change to aruba for other reasons.

Also i was wondering how this would work in the configuration part?
    I guess all the instant APS would be the mesh portal and all the 3rd party APs  would be the mesh points, but how they will know to which ap they will connect and all that.  That part would be nice to know.

I have done mesh but of aruba to aruba  only,   And from  one mesh portal to mesh points, thats why i ask how that will work in a cluster of instant in this scenario.

• 2.  RE: Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 22, 2021 03:59 PM
    Wow, that design sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea.  Are they unable to run cables in this location?

--

• 3.  RE: Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 22, 2021 04:11 PM
    it seems they cant for some reason.

• 4.  RE: Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 25, 2021 06:22 AM
    You won't be able to mesh 3rd party and Aruba APs. What you can do is to connect those 3rd party APs as clients to Aruba Instant AP. I did this for Ubiquity and it is working fine. Caveat is that you can't bridge connection but need to use NAT. It really depend on those 3rd party APs what they can do. Without testing I'm not able to provide more specific answer.

If I understand correctly your description, customer use APs as WiFi interfaces for their machines.

Best, Gorazd

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj

• 5.  RE: Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 25, 2021 09:52 AM
    Yes their 3rd party APs is to provide the wired connection to the machines
    That 3rd party AP has 5 ethernet ports which i bealive he connects more machines not just one.   
    And well that device is a  wifi router in which he can put it in many modes he said.   
    I will ask him more question about it

• 6.  RE: Bridge with 3rd party APs

Posted Oct 25, 2021 10:20 AM
    Yeah. This can work just fine. It need to be tested, if it will work in bridge mode. I couldn't make it work with Ubiquity and hence I use Ubiquity AP as router and it is working very well.

Gorazd Kikelj