Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP57x Antenna Patterns

This thread has been viewed 86 times
  • 1.  AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 20, 2021 09:47 AM
    Does anyone have the antenna patterns of the AP57x series?

It's not in the datasheet and I' like to determine which devices meet our needs.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Keeper of the Keys

• 2.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 20, 2021 10:01 AM
    This seems to be a recurring theme.  Do you have an Aruba sales representative you can contact?  Also, there is a great video from the 2021 Aruba Atmosphere conference on RF design.  Part of the video should cover exactly what you are looking for.  It is stored on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFW0b5_s-_g

Jim Lucas

• 3.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 30, 2021 09:53 AM
    At the beginning of Jarrod Howard's talk he makes several references to another talk (an earlier session in the conference? previous talk?) by (name mangled badly by the speech recognition software) "Pavon/Pavin/Paven Cheetah"

Does anybody know the actual name of the person, or even better, know the talk that Jarrod is talking about and have a link to it?

Cathy Fasano

• 4.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 30, 2021 10:05 AM

• 5.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 21, 2021 12:23 AM
    Please see the following
    AP-577 2.4Ghz
    AP-577 5Ghz
    AP-575 2.4Ghz
    AP-575 2.4Ghz

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 6.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 21, 2021 02:29 PM
    Thanks for the lecture and the graphs!

Keeper of the Keys

• 7.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 21, 2021 06:39 PM
    Jim Lucas - Any chance you can also post the link to the lecture he refers to at the beginning?

Keeper of the Keys

• 8.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 10:06 AM
    The link is in his post: It is stored on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFW0b5_s-_g

If someone reads this, and any antenna plots are needed, most are posted on Arubapedia (for Partners). Partners have access to those, as well as all Aruba SEs. If you have a partner account, you can grab them yourself.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 11:29 AM
    Is there any way to find out what the localized version of an outdoor AP will and won't do?

Apparently our local regulations are pretty strict about outdoor 5ghz which may make these APs practical bricks....

/Edit - I don't see any other links in the Youtube video and the videos are unlisted so I can't "discover" them without a URL.

Keeper of the Keys

• 10.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 12:07 PM
    Your local regulatory body typically will publish what is allowed. Aruba only follows that.

The Release Notes of the DRT file on ASP show AP & country support.

For more detailed information, and if you have access to a controller, you can use the command:
    show ap allowed-channels country-code <country-code> ap-type <ap-type>​

On Instant you can use the command 'show ap allowed-channels' but that only helps if you have the AP already and configured it for your country code.

If that does not help, reach out to your local partner or Aruba SE. They typically know for your country what can be done, and may check the above sources.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 02:46 PM
    Herman thanks!

Sadly no 5GHz allowed outdoors here and 2.4GHz performance is abysmal due to interference so we'll need to find another solution.

Can one of you post the link to the other lecture on basics of RF?

Keeper of the Keys

• 12.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 22, 2021 03:12 PM
    ER80,
    Since you mentioned outdoors, are you serving clients outdoors or are you doing mesh point-to-point shots outdoors?
    Thanks,
    Brad

Brad

• 13.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 04:04 PM
    Hey Brad,

Just serving clients in an area next to our office that is going to be used for outdoor dining.

Keeper of the Keys

• 14.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 22, 2021 05:06 PM
    Hi ER80,

I don't know why 5GHz would be totally prohibited outdoors. Out of curiosity, where is that?

Anyway, it may be possibe to adjust antenna positioning (if you use directional antennas like the 577 has) and transmit power, so that only the outdoor dining area is covered effectivelly.

It may be outdoors, but if it is a private area I doubt you'll get in any trouble for using 5GHz, especially if you limit channels to non-DFS only. (DFS channels are the ones used by emergency services, they vary from country to country).

Miguel Goncalves

• 15.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 22, 2021 05:28 PM
    ER80,
    If you don't mind, what country are you in that excludes 5GHz outdoors? That's rough!!! Do you have any idea where the 2.4GHz interference / channel utilization is coming from? Your WiFi, other's WiFi, other interference sources? Creative directional antenna placement could help deafen what the outdoor AP can hear. You still have the issue of the clients being omnidirectional radiators.
    Thanks,
    Brad

Brad

• 16.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2021 03:35 AM
    Hey Brad,

We're in Jerusalem, Israel.

The 2.4GHz band is extremely crowded with other wifi users etc. probably similar to most places in the world.

Keeper of the Keys

• 17.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

Posted Jul 27, 2021 12:21 PM
    ER,
    At least it looks like the MoC gave you a bunch more 5 GHz channels to use indoors sometime in 2020. If outdoor APs aren't going to help you because of the 2.4 GHz restriction and congestion, I only have one other likely legal suggestion for a workaround. It would assume that your exterior walls are RF transparent enough and the outdoor area to be covered is small enough. You could possibly place one or multiple APs inside your walls, but as close to the walls as possible and rely on the propagation to the outdoor area to be enough to be usable outdoors. I don't really prefer to do this because it could affect your indoor coverage, but the last thing you want is the MoC to come knocking on your door. As long as the radiator is inside your walls, it is likely that you have not violated any laws. Confirm the legality of that plan-of-action before pursuing it as an option. I would feel comfortable doing that in the US and being legally compliant if that was my only option.
    Hope this helps,
    Brad

Brad

• 18.  RE: AP57x Antenna Patterns

MVP
    Posted Jul 29, 2021 03:03 PM
    Hey Brad,

We will be doing something like that, considering that 5GHz must leak out of buildings all over the place (I can receive my home 5GHz something like 20-30m from the building [OpenWRT running on a ea6350 set to Israel]) my guess is their main issue is the "long range" use of outdoor.

Keeper of the Keys