Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does the 2.4G client affect the use of the 5G wifi client?

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Does the 2.4G client affect the use of the 5G wifi client?

Posted Sep 23, 2022 10:06 AM

I know that 2.4G and 5G also use different antennas to send and receive on different channels .

But I have an environment with lots of 2.4G printers using wifi connection
    When 5G users use wifi to print to a printer, the network will slow down
    I do not understand why 

If the 2.4G channel is busy, will it affect the performance of the AP and cause the 5G speed to slow down?

• 2.  RE: Does the 2.4G client affect the use of the 5G wifi client?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2022 11:17 AM
    The 5GHz and 2.4GHz band should be independent, so channel busy on 2.4 should not affect performance on 5GHz. However, if the print traffic goes over 5GHz, then over 2.4GHz to the printer, the end-to-end path is affected in that case for the printing traffic.

If the clients and printers are in the same VLAN, or if you have not properly configured broadcast/multicast filtering, that could affect the performance if during printing a lot of broadcast/multicast traffic is generated. This may be complex to troubleshoot, so getting your Aruba partner or Aruba support involved may be a good idea.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------