Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

This thread has been viewed 45 times
  • 1.  Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jun 01, 2021 08:38 AM
    Hello Airheads friends.

Has anyone installed a Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables on different switches on separate IDFs? My goal is to have a fully redundant environment.
    I believe if this environment works the AP will be powered by a single port and in case of switch #1 failure, the AP will restart and go up through the second port. Am I correct? Do you see any contraindications in this scenario?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jun 02, 2021 11:19 AM
    Hi Guarana,

I have never do it, but I believe you have to keep in mind the following points:

1. Both switches have to behave as a single switch, because the AP will use both ports as a link aggregation. If they are on separate IDFs and a physical stack is not an option, you can use a virtual stack, such as VSF or alike.

2. About the power it depends on the AP model you choose, For example, the AP-510 series datasheet says: "The AP supports direct DC power and Power over Ethernet (PoE; on port E0)". In this scenario, if the switch which is connected to the AP's E0 fails, the AP will go down though the other switch is still up and running.

Maybe someone with practical experience on this can shed some more light on this.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Julian

• 3.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2021 02:34 PM
    I honestly think per port it is cheaper to provide overlapping AP RF  coverage.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jun 02, 2021 02:42 PM
    Thank you Cjoseph and FJulianom

I will run two cables to the same IDF and connect them to different members on the same switch stack.

• 5.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jun 02, 2021 03:35 PM
    That sounds good. Configure the two ports on the stack as a link aggregation, the AP will configure its ports automatically.

Regards,
    Julian

• 6.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jan 26, 2024 11:04 AM

Is it possible to connect AP 535 or 555 to separate switches in stack for redundancy. One port(ET0) to be drawing all the need it power which is class 5 and the other(ET1) to be for backup?

• 7.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2024 03:29 PM

both AP-535 and AP-555 support PoE to be drawn from either port (single source, or set to prioritize) or both ports simultaneously (set to combine).

When set to prioritise, the AP draws power from E0 and may failover to E1.

The above is mentioned in the AP datasheets.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 8.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jan 27, 2024 08:35 AM

Yes, Aruba AP 535 or 555 access points (APs) can be connected to separate switches in a stack to provide redundancy. This is typically known as a dual uplink or dual-homing setup. Typically, one port (ET0) would be the primary connection, pulling the necessary power (PoE, Power over Ethernet), while the other (ET1) would serve as a backup or redundant link.

Make sure the switches you're connecting to support the stacking capability and are correctly setup for redundancy. Also, ensure that the Aruba APs are set to use both ports properly for redundancy. This setting helps to maintain network stability if one link or switch breaks.Fm Whatsapp Apk

• 9.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

Posted Jan 29, 2024 02:35 AM
    How to set prioritize from which port the AP to draw power. From the switch or from the AP or the controller?

• 10.  RE: Campus Access Point with two ethernet cables going to different switches on separate IDFs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2024 07:04 PM

Internally PoE functionality can either be as Sharing or Failover. Note that there is no config required.

For Sharing option both E0 and E1 will be used. and for Failover , the AP starts with preferred E0 and then E1ports.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.