Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP303H (managed controller-less via browser): wired ports - how do you map Network profiles to a particular AP?

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AP303H (managed controller-less via browser): wired ports - how do you map Network profiles to a particular AP?

Posted May 09, 2022 12:35 PM
    So I've had two AP303Hs for last several years, working well - one of which has its E3 port enabled for PoE pass thru and powers an AP17 located outside my house.  I just bought a new 3rd AP303H unit, added it to my network, and it now shows in the web management tool under Access Points.  All APs are updated to latest firmware (8.9.0.2_83074).  My issue: port E3 (rightmost of 4 ports at bottom) does not supply PoE power to attached IP camera (PoE).  Now it's been a couple years since I configured my 2 older APs, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on how to get PoE pass-thru for port E3 to work.  As best I can sort it out, you have to go to Dashboard->Configuration->Networks, then create a "network" of Type=Wired etc.  I had already done this for my original 2 APs, so there's already a Network named "POE pass thru" that has the PoE slider set to Enabled.  What I am stuck on is - how do you map these "Network(s)" to a particular AP?  Or does each enabled Network apply to ALL APs being managed?  If the latter, how does it sort out conflicting "Networks" (e.g. one has PoE enabled, another one doesn't)?  And I don't recall seeing any settings specific to configuring the four ports (E0, E1, E2 and E3), other than the PoE enabled slider (implies port E3).

Is it just me, or is this one of the most confusing management tools - especially related to the wired ports?  I have been doing IT for over 35 years, and generally can figure out most any web config tool without needing to research/read much.  BUT I have researched this topic a lot, and just keep scratching my head as to how these so called "Networks" get mapped to specific APs...

------------------------------
    Mike Reed

• 2.  RE: AP303H (managed controller-less via browser): wired ports - how do you map Network profiles to a particular AP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2022 09:57 AM
    Assuming you run in Instant mode, you can map the wired ports in step 5 of the (wired) networks configuration:

Note that the same profile will be set to all of the APs in the cluster on those ports.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: AP303H (managed controller-less via browser): wired ports - how do you map Network profiles to a particular AP?

Posted May 22, 2022 11:21 AM
    Thanks Herman!  I had forgotten about the 5th "Assignment" tab.  BUT, it doesn't seem very intuitive the way they've designed these "Network" configurations.  The "Assignment" properties (showing 5 ports for my AP303H) are not really a sub-property of each individual Network listed.  e.g. say I have 2 Networks named "Network 1" and "Network 2".  If I edit the properties for Network 1, whatever I choose for the port Assignments (0/0 thru 0/4) *changes* the Assignments that will show for ALL other Networks (e.g. Network 2's Assignments will now be exactly whatever I set Network 1's port Assignments to).  My point is that Assignments are not really a sub-property of any given Network.  IMO there should be a separate tab/property page for Port Assignments.  Burying it as a sub-property of each defined Network is beyond confusing...

Mike Reed