Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Failover via L3

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  AP Failover via L3

Posted Jul 23, 2021 06:50 AM
    Greetings!

this might probably the most common question in deploying aruba MCs.

I have 2 MMs, 1 in DC and another in DR via private L3 network . each has 1xMC as MD with AP terminated per MC. 

APs were able to establish primary and standbylinks as per checking theirFlags. (show ap database) and able to do failover to MC2 once MC1 goes down.

however  APs don't return once MC1 goes back.

I already configured HA Profile(pre emption), LMS/BLMS IPs and AP System Profile. I'm using OS8.6

any recommendations?

TIA :)

------------------------------
    Harvey Ysip

• 2.  RE: AP Failover via L3
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2021 10:13 AM
    I will just say, failing APs over to a controller across a WAN is not a good idea for performance reasons.  If an actual controller fails, and you have an onsite cluster, and your users might not even notice.  If you have a second controller across the WAN, users would have to re-ip, their performance would suffer and some applications might not even recover.  I would instead create a cluster of two controllers at the same site.  If you have an MM and you are not using clustering, you are forgoing a major advantage.

With that being said, when you enable preemption, there is a LMS hold down time, where the AP waits to fail back over to the first controller during preemption.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: AP Failover via L3

Posted Jul 23, 2021 08:33 PM
    I really appreciate your response cjoseph :)

tho I'm aware of the limitations when it comes to L3 WAN.

I already enabled preemption inside HA Profile and configured LMS/BLMS per AP group but it seems the LMS Premption in AP System is still unchecked.

quite confusing for me if I have to configure all of those 3 or HA Profile or AP system will do.

my last failover testing didn't trigger with all of those settings configured. 

Harvey Ysip

• 4.  RE: AP Failover via L3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2021 10:32 PM
    Honestly, since clustering came out, I am not sure what should and should not work with HA...:(

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.