Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller in Central?

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller in Central?

Posted Oct 10, 2021 10:20 AM
    I am hoping somebody can help me understand what the purpose of the virtual controller in Central is. A physical AP at each of my sites functions as a VC. Would the Central virtual controller for each site take over that role? Why would the virtual controller in Central need an IP address? I can't seem to find any decent documentation on this. 

The Central virtual controller I am referring to is located at Group>Devices>Config>System. 

Thank you for your expert assistance.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller in Central?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2021 06:07 PM
    I don't think you need to set VC IP address in your scenario, when you are managing them from Aruba Central.
    In general there will be cases for dynamic RADIUS proxy and IAP-VPN configurations that VC IP address comes to play for clusters more than one IAP.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller in Central?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2021 08:31 AM
    Central does the configuration, the Virtual controller (one of your APs in a cluster, automatically selected) will be the 'leader' of your cluster from a control perspective. What you configure in that screen is the VC-IP, which is an additional IP address that always follows the active VC, and can be used to access the local WebUI. Normally with Central, you would not need that, unless you have a connectivity issue and the AP can't connect to Central, and reverts back to local configuration.

Mentioned above are few scenarios where configuring a VC IP makes sense. In general, if you have a single AP cluster, it's not needed to configure the VC-IP.

There is some info about the VC in this video series.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller in Central?

Posted Oct 11, 2021 02:10 PM
    Thank you very much, this is exactly the information I have been searching for. In my 21 years in IT, this is one of the best replies I've ever received in a forum.