Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

Posted Jan 16, 2021 10:20 PM
    greetings!

I've seen a a lot of similar references but quite confusing to me since I'm not much into VMs and most were older versions.

anyone can share procedures on how to trunk VLAN with DHCP from core switch to VMC to SSID?

details:
    Aruba  Switch- VLAN 102 - gw 192.168.102.1 /24 (CORP users w/DHCP) ,tag 2(ESXI)
                          VLAN 2 - mgmt gw 10.10.2.254/24

ESXI server - untag 2, vlan2, 10.10.2.253

APs- untag vlan2
    VMC-10.10.2.112

ESXI:- this im not sure if what VLAN id to use; does it have to be specific or 4095 means vlan all

VM adapter -tried to use choose vlan102 but whenever i place it in adapter 2, the VMC becomes unreachable.so I placed in adapter 1

I tried to mapped it to SSID but client still unable to get I.P address from SSID. DHCP service is tested working on wired anyway.

any ideas?

TIA :)

------------------------------
    Harvey Ysip

• 2.  RE: VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

Posted Jan 17, 2021 09:58 AM
    Hi, 
    From what i understand, you want to create a separate vlan for ssid. Anyhow, you should add in your dhcp option 43 with the ip address of your ap's contoller and option 60, these should do the trick.
    Anyway, give more details of your network, be specific.

FLORIAN DOVLEAC

• 3.  RE: VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

Posted Jan 17, 2021 10:14 PM
    Hi,

You need to map vlanALL to Network Adapter 2.
    Hope to solve your issue.

Ratchapas Shatsa-Nga

• 4.  RE: VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2021 04:00 AM
    You have two options here:
    1: Let ESXi do the VLAN tagging. Create a vSwitch per VLAN, like you did for VLAN102, and assign that to one of the interfaces of your VMC. In that case in the VMC configure the switchport mode access, and access-vlan 102 (if that is the VLAN you want to have on your VMC).
    2: Passthrough the tagged VLANs to the VMC. Create a vSwitch with vlan id 4095 (like vlanALL), and assign that to one of the interfaces of your VMC. In that case use switchport mode trunk on the interface of your VMC.

From the above, you mixed up both options by assigning VLAN102 untagged to your VMC but expecting tagged vlan 102 traffic on the VMC.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

Posted Apr 28, 2021 06:24 AM
    Hi Herman,

thanks for sharing info :)

I'm trying test the option2 but this time I'm using the following I.Ps in VMC

ip:10.10.40.5
    gw:10.10.40.1

with int g0/0/0 in switchport mode trunk

used "vlanALL" on both network adapters in a vSwitch but still no luck on reaching GW and other vlans.

also tried option1,changed network adapters to "vlan40"  and changed to switchport mode access but VMC still unreachable.

any suggestions?thanks

Harvey Ysip

• 6.  RE: VLAN trunking ESXI 6.5 + VMC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2021 11:00 AM
    Make sure you are using the right interfaces, you can check the MAC address on the VMC vs the one assigned by ESXi. Sometimes these interfaces are 'out-of-order' and you may have configured the wrong interface. I've been bit by that a few times. Also, you can try to capture traffic on the ESXi physical ports or do port-mirror on your switch to see if what you configured is the same as the traffic that you see on the ports.

If you have this covered by support, you could reach out to your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC support.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.