Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP Packet Loss after AOS 8 Upgrade

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  RAP Packet Loss after AOS 8 Upgrade

Posted Sep 22, 2021 04:07 PM
    Hey all,

I have 1 user out of 200 that is experiencing a significant amount of packet loss after upgrading her RAP from 6.5 to 8.6.0.5. I'm showing about 11% packet loss to the RAP pinging from the AAC to the VPN Pool IP. This packet loss carries to her computer as well, which is hardwired to the RAP. I show Tx and Rx dropped packets incrementing. The only different I'm aware of is in AOS 8, the RAP MTU changes from 1200 to 1300. Could this be a reason for the packet loss? We've replaced the RAP (same model) and the issues continued. 

I have roughly 750 active RAPs, 200 of which were upgraded from 6.5 to 8 and only this single user is experiencing the problems, so I'm running short on ideas of how to troubleshoot any further.

Has anyone seen a similar problem? I can test the MTU change i believe by doing an ap-specific config and swapping in a test ap-system-profile, but not sure if that is the best way to verify this or not.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Michael Haring

AirHeads MVP 2017, 2019-2021

• 2.  RE: RAP Packet Loss after AOS 8 Upgrade

Posted Sep 22, 2021 04:20 PM
    Does the RAP have wired devices connected?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: RAP Packet Loss after AOS 8 Upgrade

Posted Sep 22, 2021 04:36 PM
    Yes the PC is connected to the RAP, but she experiences issues with applications and login delays. When pinging the workstation, i show the same level of packet-loss and latency as the RAP. We are configuring a new RAP with 1200 MTU set from the beginning and will be setting it up with her tomorrow to test. 

As an FYI, our RAP controllers are split between two physically separate data centers - different ISPs and paths leaving both and the issue followed the RAP when i moved it.

Michael Haring

AirHeads MVP 2017, 2019-2021

• 4.  RE: RAP Packet Loss after AOS 8 Upgrade

Posted Sep 22, 2021 05:37 PM
    If you haven't already, try bcmc optimization on that wired VLAN.  That will suppress broadcasts from the wired side.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.