Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

Posted Sep 13, 2021 09:21 PM
    I've been looking for a guide or instructions to help with moving from a single physical controller to a pair of physical controllers with a virtual mobility conductor. I've seen an older lab guide for setting up a conductor and cluster from scratch, but can't seem to find discussions or a guide on this particular scenario. Here is a rough outline of what I think needs to happen:

1. Deploy new virtual mobility conductor
    2. Reissue existing AP, PEF, RFP licenses for the conductor (I believe this will NOT affect the existing licenses on the working controller?)
    3. Rebuild wireless config on the conductor - SSIDs, AP groups, roles, PEF rules, VLANs, etc.
    4. Bring the new physical controller online under the conductor, set up its connection to ClearPass, guest portal IP (non CPPM-Guest, using local portal)
    5. Test some APs on the new controller and config, associate them via DHCP options (assuming setup of a cluster for controllers with a virtual IP out front)
    6. Wipe and bring the old physical controller online under the conductor, set up its connection to ClearPass, its guest portal IP, etc.
    7. Move all other APs onto the new cluster of two controllers

Does this make sense? What am I missing? Better yet, can anyone point to a guide or similar? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2021 05:27 AM
    2.  You can use asp.arubanetworks.com to migrate the licenses.  This will not affect the existing licenses on the working controller.

Besides that, you are 100% correct in your assumptions.

Please also see this:  https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/179

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

Posted Sep 26, 2021 02:42 PM
    Thank you, we got licensing moved over just fine. However, when we bring up the new controller on the conductor, it is stuck showing as "down". On the controller, "show switches" lists a configuration state of "UPDATE REQUIRED". The controller and conductor are at the same level of code 8.7.1.4. We used auto-park to add the controller and it shows up in the conductor by its MAC address,  but you cannot click on it. 

"show switches" on the conductor shows (IPs and MAC masked here):

IP Address IPv6 Address Name Location Type Model Version Status Configuration State Config Sync Time (sec) Config ID
    ---------- ------------ ---- -------- ---- ----- ------- ------ ------------------- ---------------------- ---------
    x.x.x.1 None Conductor Building1.floor1 master ArubaMM-VA 8.7.1.4_80581 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 0 8
    x.x.x.2 None 7210-2 Building1.floor1 MD Aruba7210 8.7.1.4_80581 up CONTROLLER-IP/V6 NOT SET(00:1a:bb:xx:yy:zz) N/A N/A

Any suggestions? I was going to delete it and re-add it manually, but it seems like this is something to do with the config from the conductor not pushing down to the new controller. Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 06:56 AM
    You can add the controller via PSK using the startup dialog, but unless you configure the controller to be somewhere in the hierarchy, it does not know where to obtain its configuration from. You can do it via the commandline:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/aos8/conf-devi.htm or the GUI by clicking the + sign to add a device in the GUI.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

Posted Sep 27, 2021 10:46 AM
    I had the autopark set up to put it in a group that we created, and it shows up there with its MAC address as the name. During the startup script, we did the PSK and pointed it to the conductor. So it is there under the correct group, but shows with a status of DOWN.

• 6.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

Posted Sep 27, 2021 10:57 AM
    I deleted the controller in the conductor UI and re-added it by IP and MAC, and now it is up and taking config. Not sure why the autopark method didn't get there.

Thanks again for your help!

• 7.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 11:23 AM
    I am not familiar with autopark.  If you find out, please let the thread know.

• 8.  RE: Looking for a guide on migrating to mobility conductor and moving licenses

Posted Sep 29, 2021 06:31 AM
    Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues. It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing! indigocard

Alan Caine