Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 minutes ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrate Mesh APs / RAP to ArubaOS8

Jump to Best Answer
This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Migrate Mesh APs / RAP to ArubaOS8

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi!

I'm migrating to ArubasOS8. I've converted a controller and most campus APs to the new platform, that worked fine.
    I've got the old ArubaOS6 platform running along side the new one.

Now I'm wondering about mesh Aps. 
    Is the process the same ? I just prepare the same config and migrate the APs to the correct mesh group ?
    Will a mesh point AP connect to a migrated mesh portal AP or will some check fail ? Or is it just PSK based ?

Also regarding RAPs will pointing them to a new IP at the migrated controller make it just convert correctly and sync it's settings from my new setup ?

I've moved just used the cli to copy-paste the old config for these AP-groups pretty much.
    I'm just a bit nervous since troubleshooting RAPs and MESH APs would be a pain.
    So any tips or pointers are welcome.

• 2.  RE: Migrate Mesh APs / RAP to ArubaOS8
    Best Answer

Posted 28 days ago
    You can move RAPs from 6.x to 8.x in a fairly straightfoward way:  You just need to make sure the RAP is in the RAP whitelist of the new controller and the ap-group exists.  Just provision the AP to the new ip address after that.  Make sure the ap-group on the new controller, the lms-ip is not pointing back at the old controller.  Test this procedure to make sure it works in your environment.

The same thing works for Mesh APS the ap-group must exist on the new controller.  Mesh  points require a mesh portal to be up to work.  The mesh psk is stored in the flash of the mesh point and portal when they are first provisioned.   If the mesh portal is pointed to an 8.x MD and upgrades to 8.x before the mesh point (it will), the 6.x mesh point will still connect to the mesh portal, get an ip address and connect to the 6.x controller.  You can then move the mesh point over to 8.x.  This is general advice.  Test this procedure in your environment first...

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Migrate Mesh APs / RAP to ArubaOS8

Posted 27 days ago
    Thanks, I will test this in lab but seems fairly straight forward.